Author Topic: Homeless vets are being booted from NY hotels to make room for migrants: advocates  (Read 1044 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Homeless vets are being booted from NY hotels to make room for migrants: advocates
By Bernadette Hogan and Kate Sheehy
May 12, 2023 7:11pm  Updated

Nearly two dozen struggling homeless veterans have been booted from upstate hotels to make room for migrants, says a nonprofit group that works with the vets.

The ex-military — including a 24-year-old man in desperate need of help after serving in Afghanistan — were told by the hotels at the beginning of the week that their temporary housing was getting pulled out from under them at the establishments and that they’d have to move on to another spot, according to the group and a sickened local pol.

“Our veterans have been placed in another hotel due to what’s going on with the immigrants,’’ said Sharon Toney-Finch, the CEO of the Yerik Israel Toney Foundation.

Toney-Finch, a disabled military veteran, created YIT to raise awareness of premature births, as well as helping the homeless and low-income military service veterans in need of living assistance.

“One of the vets called me on Sunday,’’ she said.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/12/homeless-vets-are-being-booted-from-ny-hotels-to-make-room-for-migrants-advocates/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Given that we don't know if the motels or hotels they are being moved to are better or safer than the ones they are being removed from,this might be much ado about nothing.

This is especially true when you consider most of these vets will be White or Black vets that do NOT speak Spanish,and might well end up  being targets of the new tenants if they remain there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NY Hotels Boot Homeless Veterans to Shelter Released Migrants

Bob Price 13 May 2023

Upstate New York hotels began kicking homeless veterans from their properties to make room for migrants being bused to the region from New York City. The homeless veterans, many Vietnam-era veterans, were receiving temporary shelter in the hotels through the efforts of a non-profit agency.

The New York Post reports that nearly two dozen homeless veterans “have been booted from the upstate hotels to make room for migrants.”  One of the hotels told a 24-year-old Afghanistan war veteran their temporary housing was being pulled out from under them and they would have to move somewhere else.

Sharon Toney-Finch, CEO of the Yerik Israel Toney Foundation, told the New York Post, “Our veterans have been placed in another hotel due to what’s going on with the immigrants.”

Toney-Finch said they moved the veterans from the Crossroads Hotel in Newburgh, New York, to other nearby motels and hotels. The properties were located about 20 minutes from where they were displaced.

Orange County, New York, is now the target of a migrant busing campaign by New York City Mayor Eric Adams. The mayor is moving the migrants out of his sanctuary city to Upstate New York to relieve migrant overcrowding in his city.

The veterans had been placed in the first hotel under a four-week temporary housing program while the non-profit agency attempted to find another solution for their housing needs. The veterans were about two -weeks into the program “when they got the boot,” Toony-Finch stated.
“A lot of them are Vietnam veterans. We do help them on a constant basis to get them benefits and help them find a place in society,” she explained. ““Now we have to work from ground zero. We just lost that trust [with the vets].”

Republican State Assemblyman Brian Maher told the newspaper, “Shining a light on this is important because we need to make sure these hotels know how important it is to respect the service of our veterans before they kick [them] out of hotels to make room.”

Democrat Congressman Pat Ryan put a stronger point on the action to boot the veterans, according to an article in the Mid-Hudson News. “This is bullshit,” he said. “20 veterans lost their housing tonight because of incompetence by New York City government.  I am doing everything I can to ensure these service members have a bed to sleep in tonight.  Let me be clear.  This will not be tolerated.”

Republican Congressman Marc Molinaro agreed. “This is absolutely inexcusable and should not be happening in America.  This is the result of incompetence and a lack of compassion.  This won’t be tolerated.”

Tooney-Finch said the hotel made the move to expel the veterans over money. “They get paid more [for the migrants,” she stated. “That’s so unfair, because at the end of the day, we are a small nonprofit, and we do pay $88 a day for a veteran to be there.”  It is not clear what the city is paying for the housing of the bused migrants from New York City.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/border/2023/05/13/ny-hotels-boot-homeless-veterans-to-shelter-released-migrants/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The other article on this mentioned the hotel in question is in Newburgh.
It's a good place to get out of. Cruddy town.

How long before EVERY hotel in downstate New York gets filled up with new illegal invaders...?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The other article on this mentioned the hotel in question is in Newburgh.
It's a good place to get out of. Cruddy town.

How long before EVERY hotel in downstate New York gets filled up with new illegal invaders...?

@Fishrrman

Am I the only one  wondering if the rates being  paid  for the illegals is the normal rate,or  higher?

This is NYC politics,and NOBODY works for free.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

In the eyes of Liberals, foreigners are more equal than others, while Americans are less equal than others.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline mountaineer

https://twitter.com/ImMeme0/status/1657498645258805248
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
In the eyes of Liberals, foreigners are more equal than others, while Americans are less equal than others.

@DefiantMassRINO

This is only true of WHITE Americans.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Find out the room rates for the illegals (f**k calling them "migrants", call a spade a spade).

Ultimately, WE will end up picking up the tab for this, one way or another.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Offline Kamaji

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A couple's wedding plans were upended after their hotel room block was canceled to accommodate asylum seekers rerouted from New York City

Jordan Parker Erb
Sun, May 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM CDT

New York City is struggling to find shelter for thousands of asylum seekers arriving in the city.

The city on Thursday sent buses of migrants to a hotel in Newburgh, New York, 60 miles upstate.

To accommodate their arrival, the hotel canceled rooms reserved months ago for one couple's wedding.

A soon-to-be-married couple from Queens has landed in the middle of New York City's ongoing immigration crisis.

Months after reserving a block of 37 rooms at the Crossroads Hotel in Newburgh, New York, for their upcoming nuptials, the pair told WCBS the rooms were canceled to accommodate asylum seekers bused up from New York City.

It's the latest in the city's ongoing struggle to find shelter for migrants — and now, the couple, Sean Plunkett and Nicole Hoefferle, said they are left scrambling.

Plunkett and Hoefferle told WNBC they have family flying in from Ireland, England, Canada, Ecuador, and Japan for their wedding next weekend.

more
https://news.yahoo.com/couples-wedding-plans-were-upended-173602322.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

A couple's wedding plans were upended after their hotel room block was canceled to accommodate asylum seekers rerouted from New York City
In-effin-credible.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Report: 20 Homeless Veterans Booted from NY Hotels, Likely to Make Room for Migrants: ‘We Just Lost That Trust’

ELAINE MALLON13 May 202321
2:12
Twenty homeless veterans from the Vietnam and Afghanistan wars have been booted out of hotels in upstate New York before their expected stays were over, likely to make room for incoming migrants.

The veterans, awaiting permanent housing, were just two weeks into their four-week stay when Sharon Toney-Finch, founder of YIT Foundation, which assists homeless and low-income veterans, received a call Sunday that they were being asked to leave, as reported by the New York Post.

She told the Post that some were removed from the Crossroads Hotel in Newburgh, Orange County, and others from the Super 8 and Hampton Inn & Suites in Middletown. The veterans are now staying at a Hudson Valley hotel.

“Now we have to work from ground zero,” Toney-Finch told the outlet. “We just lost that trust [with the vets].”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/05/13/report-20-homeless-veterans-booted-from-ny-hotels-likely-to-make-room-for-migrants-we-just-lost-that-trust/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MOD3

Merged threads

Offline mountaineer

A hotel where veterans were displaced in favor of Middle Eastern illegal immigrants:

https://twitter.com/texan_maga/status/1657897030469992448

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the post above:
"Crossroads hotel in Newburgh, NY..."

Who (speaking of white Americans) would want to stay in a place like that, surrounded by illegals?

I'm guessing that many of these hotel operators are cashing in for the short-term profits, and aren't expecting to operate "normal hotel businesses" for very many more years into the future...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
From the post above:
"Crossroads hotel in Newburgh, NY..."

Who (speaking of white Americans) would want to stay in a place like that, surrounded by illegals?

I'm guessing that many of these hotel operators are cashing in for the short-term profits, and aren't expecting to operate "normal hotel businesses" for very many more years into the future...

@Fishrrman

Well,by the time the illegals are moved out,the motels/hotels will be trashed to the point of no return,and have to be razed and rebuilt.

I am GUESSING there are HUGE insurance policies that are a part of the deal.