Author Topic: The City of Berkeley is struggling with its slaveholding namesake  (Read 256 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
May 10, 2023
The City of Berkeley is struggling with its slaveholding namesake
By Andrea Widburg

The city of Berkeley has long been associated with leftism. Famed San Francisco columnist Herb Caen nicknamed the city Berserkeley as an homage to its radical politics. The extremism infects both the town and its famous campus, the University of California, Berkeley. Although most other college campuses have caught up with UC Berkeley, it’s still the grande dame of leftist extremism. That’s what makes it so lovely that Berkeley is wrestling with a bitter historic truth: The name “Berkeley” is an homage to a one-time Rhode Island-based slaveholder who was unimpressed by Native Americans.

From the Bay Area News Group:

The problematic pasts of historical figures have forced the renaming of hundreds of buildings and the removal of dozens of statues from public squares across the U.S. But what happens when the name of an entire community is tainted by racial injustice?

It’s perhaps ironic that Berkeley is the latest place to face this question. The city’s reputation for anti-imperialism has only grown since becoming the nation’s first city to swap Columbus Day for “Indigenous Peoples Day” in 1992 and installing city-limit signs that declare “Welcome to the City of Berkeley — Ohlone Territory” in 2019. Last year, the City Council agreed to begin its meetings with a land acknowledgment, recognizing Berkeley as stolen land from its first inhabitants, the Ohlone people.

But now, historians at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, have renewed scrutiny of records indicating that the city’s namesake — Bishop George Berkeley, an 18th-century Irish philosopher and influential scholar — purchased enslaved people to toil at a Rhode Island plantation he briefly operated until 1732.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/05/the_city_of_berkeley_is_struggling_with_its_slaveholding_namesake.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: The City of Berkeley is struggling with its slaveholding namesake
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 11:24:57 am »
:facepalm2:

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: The City of Berkeley is struggling with its slaveholding namesake
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 01:28:00 pm »
I didn't realize that "Berserkeley" was coined by Herb Caen. I first heard the nickname in the 1960s, probably in the pre-hippie days. Caen was a SF Chronicle columnist for a really long time.

I doubt the residents of Fort Bragg, CA would care about being named for a general who fought in the Mex-An war and the Civil War. OTOH, I'm at least mildly surprised that the Keep Santa Cruz Weird and Banana Slug people haven't had tantrums over the name of their city.

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.