Author Topic: HP disables customers’ printers if they use ink cartridges from cheaper rivals  (Read 1427 times)

Online corbe

HP disables customers’ printers if they use ink cartridges from cheaper rivals

Story by Charlotte Gifford • 5h ago

A well-known computer brand has disabled the printers of customers using ink cartridges from rival companies.

Hewlett-Packard, or HP, has sparked fury after issuing a recent “firmware” update which blocks customers from using cheaper, non-HP ink cartridges in its printers.

Customers’ devices were remotely updated in line with new terms which mean their printers will not work unless they are fitted with approved ink cartridges.

It prevents customers from using any cartridges other than those fitted with an HP chip, which are often more expensive. If the customer tries to use a non-HP ink cartridge, the printer will refuse to print.

HP printers used to display a warning when a “third-party” ink cartridge was inserted, but now printers will simply refuse to print altogether.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/hp-disables-customers-printers-if-they-use-ink-cartridges-from-cheaper-rivals/ar-AA1b3M4S?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=147ebd7c31f14087b5bb53f8d7b9ffb6&ei=45
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

That's because HP essentially sells the printer itself either at cost, or at a loss, in order to make the profit up on the ink.  Take away the ink, and the printer business becomes unprofitable for HP.  This part of their business would probably be better characterized as an ink-selling business, with ink-using machines provided as an afterthought.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I quit using inkjet printers years ago.

These days, I use a Brother laser. Great printer.
Mine is b&w, but they have color, too.
(although few if any color lasers can match a good inkjet for color photo printing)

Offline berdie

That's because HP essentially sells the printer itself either at cost, or at a loss, in order to make the profit up on the ink.  Take away the ink, and the printer business becomes unprofitable for HP.  This part of their business would probably be better characterized as an ink-selling business, with ink-using machines provided as an afterthought.

Interesting. The biggest flaw I see, is  that other companies sell the cheap printers as well. A lot of people (at least 2 I know of) just trash the printer after a couple of cartridge replacements and buy a new one. Since I am a dinosaur that thinks things should last forever, lol, I just keep buying the replacement cartridges.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I quit using inkjet printers years ago.

These days, I use a Brother laser. Great printer.
Mine is b&w, but they have color, too.
(although few if any color lasers can match a good inkjet for color photo printing)

I have an older Brother B&W laser printer that still works just fine.  The wife has a newer Brother color laser that is our network printer.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I quit inkjets many years ago as my kids were going thru ink like crazy. Since then I have used 2 different HP laserjets. A LJ4 and a LJ1320.  I was probably on my dot matrix printer longer than I put up with an inkjet.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is why I decided years ago to never buy another HP printer.  Shenanigans.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

This is why I decided years ago to never buy another HP printer.  Shenanigans.

I've got a brother B&W laser printer that I got for 50% off 10 years ago that's still going strong.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Who uses a printer?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Who uses a printer?

Exactly. I might print a dozen or so pages in an entire year, mostly for convenience like planting the garden, and taxes.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

Who uses a printer?

I know, right? I don't have one anymore. The last paper doc I made was so long ago that I can't remember when... Only reason I DO remember is that I had to run up to the UPS store to get it done.  :laugh:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I bought a HP package in 2004  (first time buying a computer) when the schools stopped accepting hand written reports and getting kids to and from the library became problematic. A few years later and after our two kids had graduated HP did a driver update or something (I ain't computer smart) and the printer was inoperable. Since then I email  myself any document I want to print and do it at the library. For the last years the only thing I have printed are tax documents.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

EVERYTHING is in a doc or pdf. it is very common practice to electronically sign documents, even to docs and government... Everybody will set appointments against an electronic sig, and if they need a real sig, they will tag the file and get it from me when I show up in person.

In this entire massive medical thing I am doing, I pre-filled every form in PDF with an electronic sig, and sent it by email... When I show, there's a brief signing ritual and off we go.

I really do mean it. I can't remember the last time I printed anything. And nearly can't remember the last time I needed to.

Offline Kamaji

I still use printers.  Anyone who has any significant dealings with government offices, for example, will often need printers.  I also like to print things out to read on the train home.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Other than proof of auto ins I print mostly for the kitchen. I'm always changing recipes, so I tend to print out a recipe to use as a scratch pad to capture changes this time around. And I may or may not input those changes into my PC. Using those 2 HP printers I've had great performance for over 20 years. One year for Little League I printed out some 7,000 flyers with no hiccups at all. Both of those printers are business grade units and I picked up both of them for very cheap on auctions.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fred with the big head grumbled:
"A few years later and after our two kids had graduated HP did a driver update or something (I ain't computer smart) and the printer was inoperable."

Shoulda bought a Mac, Fred.
Makes updates easier (and fewer of them)...

Offline Kamaji

"A few years later and after our two kids had graduated HP did a driver update or something (I ain't computer smart) and the printer was inoperable."

It was a printer update, not a computer update.

Offline berdie

Who uses a printer?

Well, my old dinosaur self does. I'm big on a hard copy for certain documents. Sure, they can be stored on the computer. But if that computer goes down...?

I have an IT friend that assures me that the info is out there...somewhere. I'd rather just go to the file cabinet and retrieve it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I use a HP printer especially for recipes I see online.....Every Christmas.. stores, especially Walmart, will have printers on sale for $35-$40 which is cheaper than buying the ink...I bought the one I have now like that a few years ago...maybe I'll look into a Laserjet...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I'm glad you like your Mac @Fishrrman but I'm not interested. Don't like the way Apple does business. Never have and never will.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien