Author Topic: Can Biden use 14th Amendment to avert a debt limit crisis? Legal experts weigh in  (Read 145 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
May 10, 2023 5:00am EDT
Can Biden use 14th Amendment to avert a debt limit crisis? Legal experts weigh in
Biden told reporters on Tuesday evening that he was considering invoking the amendment
By Elizabeth Elkind | Fox News

President Joe Biden told reporters on Tuesday that he was considering invoking a constitutional provision about the validity of U.S. debts in order to skirt House Republicans amid a tense standoff on the country’s borrowing limit.

"I have been considering the 14th Amendment," the president said after a meeting on the debt limit with Congressional leaders failed to make any meaningful progress. "I'll be very blunt with you, when we get by this, I'm thinking about taking a look at — months down the road — to see what the court would say about whether or not it does work."

Experts who spoke with Fox News Digital cast doubt on the viability of President Joe Biden invoking the 14th Amendment to the Constitution to raise the federal borrowing limit, each explaining that the likely reason for the law did not quite match the context of the situation.

The 14th Amendment reads, "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-use-14th-amendment-avert-debt-limit-crisis-legal-experts-weigh-in
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

In a word?  No.