Author Topic: Four whales die in 4 days: Wind farms creating ‘death zone’ at sea says ex-Greenpeace boss  (Read 111 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Four whales die in 4 days: Wind farms creating ‘death zone’ at sea says ex-Greenpeace boss
By Joshua Rhett Miller and Franklin Raff, Zenger News
May 8, 2023 7:27pm

Drilling foundations for offshore wind turbines and sound pulses used to prepare for the 900-foot towers may be creating a “death zone” for whales, a former Greenpeace chief claims.

Patrick Moore, a co-founder of Greenpeace and its ex-president in Canada, believes the acoustic systems used by vessels surveying the ocean floor harm the marine mammals’ sense of hearing – risking their crucial ability to navigate, and leading to more dead whales washing up onshore.

His intervention comes after four minke whale corpses were discovered between Thursday and Sunday in New York and New England, one of them on Friday in Moriches Bay, close to Westhampton, Long Island.

The four-day run of death began in Eastham, on Cape Cod, Mass., on Thursday, with a second minke found at York, Maine, on Friday, and the final corpse at Gloucester, Mass. on Sunday.

At least 36 “large” whales have washed up along the East Coast since Dec. 1, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/08/not-unreasonable-to-link-whale-deaths-offshore-wind-farm-work-ex-greenpeace-chief-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson