Author Topic: The Auto Industry In Jonestown  (Read 144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Auto Industry In Jonestown
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:37:59 am »
The Auto Industry In Jonestown
May 05, 2023/ Francis Menton

The notorious events in Jonestown took place so long ago that most readers probably don’t have personal memory of them.  In November 1978, in the jungles of Guyana, under the powerful spell of a religious cult with a charismatic leader, and of an all-embracing groupthink, some 900 people somehow agreed to participate in a mass suicide.  It was a shocking instance of the kind of collective insanity to which humans can be susceptible.

You might think that the Jonestown massacre was a uniquely extreme example of such a mass psychosis, perhaps attributable largely to unusually susceptible subjects or to the isolated location.  Surely our best and brightest leaders of government and business would never fall prey to such collective craziness.

If you think that, then perhaps you should look at what is currently going on in the automotive sector of the economy, under the spell of the climate cult and of government functionaries demanding fealty to anti-carbon doctrines.

On April 12, 2023 the EPA released its most recent proposed regulation of automobile emissions.  The document is titled “Multi-Pollutant Emissions Standards for Model Years 2027 and Later Light- Duty and Medium-Duty Vehicles.”  It is 262 pages long in the standard Federal Register single-spaced three-column format, thus designed to be virtually impossible to read for anyone who is not getting paid to do it.  But the heart of the proposed new rule is that, over a period of a few years, it is to become difficult-to-impossible for automobile manufacturers to continue to sell any significant number of internal combustion engine vehicles.  Of course EPA never states that explicitly, and makes the game as difficult as possible for any layman to decipher.  But try this language from page 29,196 (12 pages into the document and still in the early part of the Executive Summary):

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-5-5-the-auto-industry-in-jonestown
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson