Author Topic: Special ops turn to data, space tech to gain ‘decisive advantage’  (Read 69 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Special ops turn to data, space tech to gain ‘decisive advantage’
By Todd South
 May 9, 12:32 PM

TAMPA, Fla. — U.S. Special Operations Command is increasingly using cyber, space and data-based technology to support its missions, gauge equipment readiness and maintain its end strength, according to the organization’s leader.

Gen. Bryan Fenton told attendees of SOF Week, a special operations force-focused event taking place May 8-11 in Florida, that recruiting for positions such as data scientists, data stewards, cyber and space experts, and technologists is nonnegotiable.

“Data — not to be too trite here — data is the oil, the oxygen we all need to have a decisive advantage,” Fenton said Tuesday.

The command is “harnessing data like never before,” Fenton added. As an example, he said that in a recent mission targeting a senior leader of the Islamic State group, special operations teams navigated “near-peer air defense” and integrated cyber defense capabilities.

“Unfamiliar to us in the past, but becoming the norm in the future,” he explained.

https://www.militarytimes.com/smr/sofic/2023/05/09/special-ops-turn-to-data-space-tech-to-gain-decisive-advantage/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson