Author Topic: IS THE HARRIER JET THE TRUE KING OF CLOSE AIR SUPPORT?  (Read 243 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
IS THE HARRIER JET THE TRUE KING OF CLOSE AIR SUPPORT?
« on: May 08, 2023, 05:41:00 pm »
IS THE HARRIER JET THE TRUE KING OF CLOSE AIR SUPPORT?
May 8, 2023Mac Caltrider

Diving from 10,000 feet, Marine Corps Capt. Eric Albright’s AV-8B Harrier II rocketed toward the Afghan countryside below. It was the middle of the night, and everything beyond the jet’s glass canopy was pitch black. Albright knew somewhere in the green world of his night vision the ground was screaming toward him at 620 miles per hour.

Undaunted, Albright kept his targeting system locked on one of the four Taliban soldiers burying an IED. As the window to recover from the dive narrowed, Albright unleashed a burst from the strike aircraft’s five-barreled GAU-12/U Equalizer machine gun. Albright watched the man disappear in a flurry of 25mm rounds. The three others scattered like cockroaches, only to be captured by Marines waiting in the darkness.

Harrier jet
A US Marine Corps AV-8B Harrier conducts flight operations aboard the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) in the Atlantic Ocean, June 27, 2022. US Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Armando Elizalde.

Albright pulled the nose of the Harrier jet skyward as his vectored thrust engines sent him disappearing back into the Afghan night. This was just one of 159 combat missions Albright flew over a six-month period. It was Helmand province in 2012, and Harriers were in high demand.

https://coffeeordie.com/harrier-jet
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: IS THE HARRIER JET THE TRUE KING OF CLOSE AIR SUPPORT?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 05:41:24 pm »
Or is it the cheapest option?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
What about the A-10?

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:18:25 am »
In my opinion, the A-10.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 11:00:56 am »
That's why you two don't have stars on your shoulders, and if I may so, neither do I. :silly:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 01:38:57 pm »
Or is it the cheapest option?
Pilots are not cheap. The Harrier has a high accident rate compared to alternatives.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 02:09:30 pm »
Pilots are not cheap. The Harrier has a high accident rate compared to alternatives.

It's materials cost that everyone watches.  They seem to figure pilots are expendable and part of the cost of "doing business" but planes are not.  Besides, the A-10 gives the US and "unfair advantage" as Lurch would argue.
Thomas Jefferson