Author Topic: ‘Most hippie’ town in Washington outlaws drugs after ODs in streets, fentanyl death of 5-year-old  (Read 395 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

‘Most hippie’ town in Washington outlaws drugs after ODs in streets, fentanyl death of 5-year-old
By Marjorie Hernandez
May 7, 2023 11:24am  Updated

Bellingham, a town that once prided itself as the “most hippie” in Washington, has taken drastic action to outlaw drugs, after statewide decriminalization led to spiking crime and child overdose deaths.

The proudly liberal city of 92,000 has been pushed to its limit, with the fire department responding to 223 overdoses — 2.5 calls a day — between January and April 12, according to Cascadia Daily.

Among the dead are two teenagers and a 5-year-old, who overdosed on fentanyl in March and was found dead by police with foam coming from her mouth.

Overdoses have become so commonplace, one victim was dead for hours before anyone even noticed, according to Bellingham council member Edwin Williams.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/liberal-washington-town-bans-drugs-after-ods-fentanyl-deaths/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Outlawing drugs always works. They would have better luck outlawing stupid people.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

Kind of like that old definition of a conservative: a liberal who got mugged.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

Kind of like that old definition of a conservative: a liberal who got mugged.

Exactly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
At least they have the intelligence to realize that their previous approach was just not working.

Though, admittedly, at some point licentiousness gets hard to double down on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis