Author Topic: New EPA Rule reveals Biden’s EV push just a pipe dream  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New EPA Rule reveals Biden’s EV push just a pipe dream
« on: May 08, 2023, 11:08:39 am »
New EPA Rule reveals Biden’s EV push just a pipe dream
By Mandy Gunasekera |May 8th, 2023

The Biden administration released new emissions control standards for vehicles. Billed as the “most ambitious climate regulations” ever, they have captured headlines, but technical realities and high costs have both rules headed straight for a brick wall.

The light-duty category covers cars, trucks, and vans, and requires 67% of all new car sales to be electric by 2032. The heavy-duty category covers 18-wheelers, buses, and other work-related vehicles and requires half of new buses and a quarter of new truck sales to be electric by 2032. For comparison, last year, electric vehicle sales made up 5.8% of new car sales and less than 2% for heavier trucks. These proposed standards are not ambitious but rather represent a new level of regulatory lunacy.

The Clean Air Act (CAA) requires the EPA administrator to set vehicle regulations aimed at reducing pollutants from light-duty vehicles that negatively impact public health and the environment. In setting these standards, the administrator must take into consideration the feasibility of new technologies as well as costs. Team Biden promised as much when they committed to establishing a “data-driven” goal. But it’s hard to see how any serious expert would support the notion that, in less than five years, when car companies will begin designing the model year 2032 vehicles, they can develop enough electric vehicles, procure the massive amount of critical minerals needed for the batteries, and convince skeptical consumers to massively shift their purchasing priorities to meet this goal.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/05/08/new-epa-rule-reveals-bidens-ev-push-just-a-pipe-dream/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-epa-rule-reveals-bidens-ev-push-just-a-pipe-dream&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-epa-rule-reveals-bidens-ev-push-just-a-pipe-dream
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson