Author Topic: Does Ukraine Show Tanks Are Too Vulnerable For Modern War?  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Does Ukraine Show Tanks Are Too Vulnerable For Modern War?

The massive and somewhat surprising destruction of Russian tanks in the Ukraine war may lead some war planners to question the long-term utility of the main battle tank
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONMAY 4, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

(Washington DC) The massive and somewhat surprising destruction of Russian tanks in the Ukraine war may lead some war planners to question the long-term utility of the main battle tank. Hundreds of them have been destroyed by enterprising Ukrainian defenders armed with anti-armor weapons and the tactical proficiency to ambush and destroy incoming Russian formations.

Resourceful and a Will to Fight
There are many reasons for such tank failures, perhaps the largest simply being Ukrainian tenacity and “will to fight.” Ukrainians fighting Russian tanks are also credited with using advanced and highly-successful tactics such as hit-and-run ambush-style attacks using terrain, buildings, or narrowly configured passageways such as bridges or intersections to stage successful attacks.

Ukrainians are credited with using dispersed, dismounted units of fighters able to both decentralize and yet still bring precision and lethality against Russian armor with weapons such as the Javelin anti-tank missile.

https://warriormaven.com/russia-ukraine/does-ukraine-show-tanks-are-too-vulnerable-for-modern-war
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Does Ukraine Show Tanks Are Too Vulnerable For Modern War?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 01:49:59 pm »
Is it the land version of the battleship?  Too slow, unmaneuverable, and easily spotted?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson