Author Topic: Eating ‘insects may offer environmental benefits’: Brits would be told to eat bugs under bonkers gre  (Read 227 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Eating ‘insects may offer environmental benefits’: Brits would be told to eat bugs under bonkers green plans by civil servants

A leaked Whitehall draft of the Carbon Budget proposed the “development of more sustainable protein sources for human diets.” Along with promoting a vegan diet, it said that “insects may offer environmental benefits.” ...

Earlier this year, Brussels approved crickets and mealworms to be sold as “novel foods” for humans. Scientists claim insects have a smaller carbon footprint as they require fewer resources to be farmed.

By: Admin - Climate DepotMay 3, 2023 9:22 AM

Brits would be told to eat bugs under bonkers green plans by civil servants

The Sun, 1 May 2023

People would be told to eat insects under bonkers green plans by civil servants. They tried to sneak bushtucker-like proposals for a diet of bugs into PM Rishi Sunak’s eco blueprint last month.

But it was spotted and struck out by Tories at the last minute.

A leaked Whitehall draft of the Carbon Budget proposed the “development of more sustainable protein sources for human diets”.

Along with promoting a vegan diet, it said that “insects may offer environmental benefits”.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/05/03/brits-would-be-told-to-eat-bugs-under-bonkers-green-plans-by-civil-servants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Scientists claim insects have a smaller carbon footprint as they require fewer resources to be farmed.
Okay, my  8bs8 pegged out so hard on this statement the needle bent.

Critters still have to be fed, which means to produce a gram pf protein, the critter still consumes what all is needed to produce that gram.

While they may not be as big as a sheep or cow, and may not take up as much space, individually, a kilogram of protein is a kilogram of protein, and would take the same amount of Carbon, Hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. Incidentally, they'd produce the same amount of waste, too, just in bits much harder to scoop up one at a time.

In one instance, you get a cow, which can be used to produce milk, eaten, producing hide and other useful by-products, and even other cattle. In another a sheep, producer of wool, mutton, sheep by-products and other sheep.

In yet another hand, you get piles of bugs. Bugs are harder to lasso, tougher to herd (you think cats are bad, try herding crickets--even catching just one can be a challenge), you can't hang a bell around their neck, and the dog is going to be vexed trying to get them into the back pasture. Branding, tagging, or marking bugs so that if they get out they can be recovered is going to be a mess, especially if they are in the neighbor's fields.

So, while the  ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep**** may be buying this nonsense, I'm not.

Moving and storing a kilogram of food for the bugs isn't going to take any less work than moving and storing a kilogram of food for traditional livestock, and the neighbor's chicken, ducks, and guinea fowl aren't going to have the same sort of a field day if they get in amongst the cows.

So maybe this :bsflag: should be rechristened "bugshit".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis