Author Topic: The Case of the Missing Climate Crisis: Greek Edition  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Case of the Missing Climate Crisis: Greek Edition
« on: May 05, 2023, 10:53:10 am »
The Case of the Missing Climate Crisis:  Greek Edition
18 hours ago Kip Hansen 29 Comments
News Brief by Kip Hansen  — 4 May 2023

A sharp-eyed reader suggested covering this new paper with the clever title:  “In Search of Climate Crisis in Greece Using Hydrological Data: 404 Not Found”, published 27 April 2023 in the hydrology journal Water.  [ .pdf copy available at that link ].

The paper, by Demetris Koutsoyiannis and seven others, all associated with the Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens and/or the Department of Agriculture, University of Patras, is in response to the EU’s declaration of a Climate Emergency:  “Given the European declaration of climate emergency, along with the establishment of a ministry of climate crisis in Greece, this dataset was also investigated from a climatic perspective using the longest of the data records to assess whether or not they support the climate crisis doctrine.”

You can guess by the title of the paper that, in regards to drought, the “Climate Crisis” was not found in Greece – your computer would have reported “Error 404:  Climate Crisis Not Found”.

Using the longest hydrology records available, the authors found:

“The two over-century-long rainfall time series of Greece (Athens and Thessaloniki) show that the record average and maximum rainfall depths occurred in the 19th or early 20th century. Compared to other locations on the globe with long time series, these two time series of Greece show much smaller to negligible climate variability, both in mean and maximum rainfall heights.”

“In terms of the annual average rainfall, the two most important climatic events that have occurred in Greece from the middle of the 20th century to the present day are (a) the grouping of the high records of the annual average rainfall depth, namely 1/3 of all stations, in one year, the hydrological year 1962–63, and (b) the intense and persistent drought before and after 1990, where the five-year period from 1988–89 to 1992–93 saw more than 50% of all record lows.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/04/the-case-of-the-missing-climate-crisis-greek-edition/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson