Author Topic: The surgeon general says loneliness is as deadly as smoking  (Read 490 times)

Online libertybele

The surgeon general says loneliness is as deadly as smoking

The US Surgeon General is sounding an alarm: Americans are more lonely and socially disconnected than ever, and it’s a serious threat to their physical and mental health that demands urgent policy action.

A new report from the Surgeon General says that social isolation’s effects on mortality are equivalent to smoking up to 15 cigarettes every day. Social isolation (an objective measure of lacking connection to families, friends, and community) and loneliness (a subjective measure of feeling disconnected) contribute to a person having a higher risk of heart disease, stroke, anxiety, depression, and dementia, and make people more susceptible to infectious diseases.

Those individual health effects ripple out into the broader community. Communities with more social cohesion have less disease and lower all-cause mortality than those with less so-called social capital. They are better prepared for natural disasters and experience less violence.

Reports from the surgeon general are reserved for urgent public health issues that require immediate action — and the nation’s top public health official argues that loneliness and isolation qualify.

“Given the profound consequences of loneliness and isolation, we have an opportunity, and an obligation, to make the same investments in addressing social connection that we have made in addressing tobacco use, obesity, and the addiction crisis,” Surgeon General Vivek Murthy wrote in the opening of the report...........

..................But in broad strokes, the report recommends six pillars for making Americans feel more connected and less isolated from one another:

Strengthen the social infrastructure: more communal spaces, more social activities, and better infrastructure to help people access them

Develop “pro-connection” public policies that account for the need to foster connection when passing laws or formulating regulations, from transportation to education to housing

Mobilize the health sector: train health care providers to identify people at risk of isolation and better equip providers to connect patients with the other forms of social support they may need

Reform digital environments: require more transparency from large tech companies and establish safeguards (such as restrictions for young people) that could ameliorate the worst effects of social media on vulnerable populations

Deepen our knowledge: support academic research and public information campaigns to improve our understanding of the connections between isolation and health and make people more aware of the problem in the first place

Cultivate a culture of connection: use all of the vectors available, from politics to entertainment, to reinforce the values of connection and reduce the polarization that can lead to people feeling more isolated in our modern age..........

https://www.vox.com/policy/2023/5/3/23707936/surgeon-general-loneliness-epidemic-report

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Re: The surgeon general says loneliness is as deadly as smoking
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:19:40 pm »
Next up:  a latter-day "Strength through Joy" program for all the lonely hearts in the U.S.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:24:22 pm »
I should only smoke when I am with others.
Good to know.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 09:30:22 pm »
So, will Emotional Support Prostitutes become a thing?

What about Second Hand Loneliness?  Being around lonely people bums me out.  How many years have been taken off my life expectancy by pathetic friends, relatives, classmates, and co-workers?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 09:48:36 pm »
So, will Emotional Support Prostitutes become a thing?

What about Second Hand Loneliness?  Being around lonely people bums me out.  How many years have been taken off my life expectancy by pathetic friends, relatives, classmates, and co-workers?

@DefiantMassRINO

To be effective they would have to be free to the user,so is the gooberment going to pay for our hookers?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!