Author Topic: Fleet Forces chief wants to make a smaller Navy more lethal  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fleet Forces chief wants to make a smaller Navy more lethal
By Megan Eckstein
 May 3, 08:00 AM

NORFOLK, Va. — The head of U.S. Fleet Forces Command operates a fleet smaller than the Navy planned, due to delays in ship and submarine construction and maintenance.

But Adm. Daryl Caudle said reducing operations isn’t an option, as Navy forces routinely find themselves in contact with their Russian and Chinese counterparts and demand for their presence is on the rise.

So the admiral has put together a four-part plan meant to maximize the fleet’s usefulness.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/05/03/fleet-forces-chief-wants-to-make-a-smaller-navy-more-lethal/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Fleet Forces chief wants to make a smaller Navy more lethal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 03:34:24 pm »
It seems to me they need a huge redundancy fleet to piece together battle groups for all the planes, helicopters, and ships that don't work. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Fleet Forces chief wants to make a smaller Navy more lethal
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 05:37:30 pm »
Maybe they can get some old cargo ships in drag...

One of the problems with having fewer ships is that all of the incoming will be focused on fewer targets. That makes it more difficult to shoot down incoming cruise missiles and other threats, but means multiple attackers can dogpile one vessel or a smaller group, with a higher concentration of fire.

Sometimes, quantity has a quality all its own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis