Author Topic: No Migrant Left Behind: DHS’s Plan to Empty Latin America  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No Migrant Left Behind: DHS’s Plan to Empty Latin America
Plan for the end of Title 42 isn't going to work as advertised
FacebookTwitterRedditLinkedInEmailCopy LinkPrint
By George Fishman on May 4, 2023

Let me be clear: Our border is not open and will not be open after May 11th.

We are building lawful pathways for people to come.

— DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, April 27, 2023

Last week, DHS released a “Fact Sheet: U.S. Government Announces Sweeping New Actions to Manage Regional Migration”, and DHS Secretary Mayorkas and Secretary of State Antony Blinken held a joint press availability to tout the Biden administration’s “sweeping new actions”. In trying to make sense of the fact sheet and the availability’s transcript, it occurred to me that Mayorkas and Blinken may very well have been holding a joint.

Michael Mehaffy writes that the esteemed scholar of urban planning Jane Jacobs was “famous for excoriating the backward-looking ‘pseudo-science’ of [mid-20th century urban] planning and architecture, which she said seemed ‘almost neurotic in its determination to imitate empiric failure and ignore empiric success.’” The same may be said of Secretary Mayorkas’ “pseudo-enforcement” of our nation’s immigration laws and his ever-morphing thoughts on what to do upon next week’s expiration of DHS’s Covid-era Title 42 expulsion authority. Mayorkas seems a modern day Moses; well, at least a modern day Robert Moses (Jacobs’ nemesis), almost neurotic in his determination to imitate the empiric immigration enforcement failures of past administrations (both Democrat and Republican) and ignore the empiric successes of the Trump administration.

DHS’s “sweeping new actions” are a blueprint for failure – if their goal is to actually secure the border. However, they are a blueprint for success if their goal is to empty Latin America of its peoples and bring them here.

https://cis.org/Fishman/No-Migrant-Left-Behind-DHSs-Plan-Empty-Latin-America
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson