Author Topic: EVs Fall Short of EPA Estimates by a Much Larger Margin Than Gas Cars in Our Real-World Highway Test  (Read 150 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

EVs Fall Short of EPA Estimates by a Much Larger Margin Than Gas Cars in Our Real-World Highway Testing
Story by Caleb Miller • Yesterday 8:01 PM

SAE International has just published a paper co-authored by Car and Driver's testing director, Dave VanderWerp, showing that, in our testing, EVs are far worse at matching EPA estimates than gas-powered vehicles.

The paper compares EPA fuel-economy and range estimates to the results of C/D's real-world highway tests, with EVs failing to meet the EPA's range figures on average.

The authors propose solutions like more standardized testing procedures and the inclusion of both city and highway range figures on new vehicles' Monroney price stickers.

A new paper published by SAE International uses Car and Driver's real-world highway test data to show that electric vehicles underperform on real-world efficiency and range relative to the EPA figures by a much greater margin than internal-combustion vehicles. While the latter typically meet or exceed the EPA-estimated highway fuel economy numbers, EVs tend to fall considerably short of the range number on the window sticker. The paper, written by Car and Driver's testing director, Dave VanderWerp, and Gregory Pannone, was presented this week at SAE International's annual WCX conference. It points to a need for revised testing and labeling standards for EVs moving forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/evs-fall-short-of-epa-estimates-by-a-much-larger-margin-than-gas-cars-in-our-real-world-highway-testing/ar-AA1a9Fdw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=63f0278a9da44ae2825d8959a607aebf&ei=32
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How about some real-world tests? Somewhere other than the sunbelt?

Drive from Rapid City SD to Casper WY on a cold winter day (-20, windy) or from Dickinson ND to Fargo.

Call when you run out of juice.

Flat terrain, warm weather, low wind estimates are just not real world indicators of range, at least not in the Northern Plains. MY problem with this sticker mileage nonsense is that if someone naively buys a vehicle thinking the range for a charge is correct for their driving conditions here, they will likely experience far less range, and that could be deadly in areas where population densities are low and towns far apart.

Yes, Virginia, it is a matter of life and death.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis