Author Topic: U.S. to protect Philippines navy, coast guard ships from China under defense pact  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. to protect Philippines navy, coast guard ships from China under defense pact

By Bill Gertz - The Washington Times - Monday, May 1, 2023

U.S. forces will defend Philippines coast guard vessels used to resupply an unusual sea base in the disputed South China Sea under a U.S.-Philippines defense treaty, the State Department said.

“The United States stands with the Philippines in the face of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) coast guard’s continued infringement upon freedom of navigation in the South China Sea,” a department spokesman announced in a written statement that was released late last week. The United States called on Beijing to halt “provocative and unsafe conduct” in the region while continuing to closely track the activities.

The statement was made two days before President Biden met with visiting Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Monday in Washington, a meeting intended to bolster ties, including potential expansion of military relations as part of the Biden administration’s strategy of seeking closer alliances as a way to counter aggression by China.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/may/1/us-protect-philippines-navy-coast-guard-ships-chin/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Defend the PI with what? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson