Author Topic: South Shore leaders left out of city’s plan to convert high school into shelter for families seeking  (Read 123 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
South Shore leaders left out of city’s plan to convert high school into shelter for families seeking asylum
By Elvia MalagónPublished May 3, 2023 6:54AMUpdated 6:54AM
South ShoreSun-Times Media Wire

Lightfoot, Abbott go toe-to-toe in second round of sparring over migrants
It's round two in a battle between Chicago's mayor and the governor of Texas. Busloads of migrants will be arriving in Chicago, even though Lori Lightfoot says the city's resources are tapped out.

CHICAGO - Community leaders in South Shore say they were left in the dark about plans to convert a shuttered high school into a shelter for families seeking asylum as Chicago experiences a surge in immigration.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s office is organizing a community meeting for 6 p.m. Thursday at the former South Shore High School at 7627 S. Constance Ave., according to an online invitation. Lightfoot’s office Tuesday wouldn’t confirm details of the plan.

"A community meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 4th, to inform residents about the use of the former South Shore High School as a temporary respite site. We will continue collaborating with community-based organizations and local and community leaders to support those in need," according to a statement issued Tuesday afternoon by the mayor’s office.

In a statement, Ald. Michelle Harris, whose 8th Ward includes the school site, said she does not support housing newly arrived immigrant families at the shuttered school because she has questions and concerns about the funding, safety and "humanity," of the plan. Harris said she plans to press for alternative solutions.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/south-shore-leaders-left-out-of-citys-plan-to-convert-high-school-into-shelter-for-families-seeking-asylum
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson