Author Topic: California: from Mega-Drought to “The Big Melt”  (Read 150 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California: from Mega-Drought to “The Big Melt”
« on: May 03, 2023, 10:58:35 am »
California: from Mega-Drought to “The Big Melt”
22 hours ago Kip Hansen 66 Comments
Opinion by Kip Hansen – 2 May 2023

California, the state of my birth, childhood and my familiar stomping ground throughout my university years – just a year ago claiming itself engulfed by a millennial-scale mega-drought — is now worried about too much water:

The Mega-Drought Is Over But California Faces a New Threat: Floods

Of course, because the topic is weather – which nearly everyone in California thinks equals Climate which equals Climate Change which equals Climate Crisis which equals Climate Catastrophe   — this weather phenomenon must be a threat.

The latest version of this new threat is “The Big Melt” – cheerfully promoted and megaphoned by – well, nearly every news outlet in California and is echoed in the national press:

NBCNews:  “The big melt is now here”: California braces for floods”

USA Today: ‘The Big Melt’: California braces for flooding as heat wave takes aim at state

Yale Climate Connections:  “California’s Big Melt kicks off, likely to cause floods”

Sky News:  “The big melt: Crushed houses, trapped cars and the threat of floods”

And then, of course, the re-birth of Tulare Lake:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/02/california-from-mega-drought-to-the-big-melt/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson