Author Topic: The Conversation: “Is acting on climate change as important as love and bedtime stories?”  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Conversation: “Is acting on climate change as important as love and bedtime stories?”
17 hours ago Eric Worrall 
Essay by Eric Worrall

“… if parents do nothing, they fail their children …”

What makes a good parent? Is acting on climate change as important as love and bedtime stories?

Craig Stanbury, Monash University
Published: May 2, 2023 6.00am AEST

What makes a good parent? Most would say a good parent loves and nurtures their child with the ultimate aim of helping them flourish – now and into the future. A good parent will feed their child, give them space to play and time to use their imagination, make sure they get an education and medical care, listen to their troubles, and teach them to one day be autonomous adults.

However, does being a good parent involve anything more than this?

In her book, Parenting on Earth, philosopher and mother Elizabeth Cripps argues that to do right by their kids, parents must also attempt to do something about the problems caused by climate change.

Cripps does not claim that it will be possible to do this all the time. (Climate action needs to be balanced against other duties involved in raising a child.) It may seem futile at times. But, if parents do nothing, they fail their children.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/05/02/the-conversation-is-acting-on-climate-change-as-important-as-love-and-bedtime-stories/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson