Author Topic: Vermont's Republican governor approves assisted suicide for nonresidents  (Read 1229 times)

Offline libertybele

Vermont's Republican governor approves assisted suicide for nonresidents

Vermont has passed legislation that will open its assisted suicide program to nonresidents within the state.

Republican Gov. Phil Scott signed a bill on Tuesday that removes residency requirements for medically assisted suicide in Vermont.

"We are grateful to Vermont lawmakers for recognizing that a state border shouldn’t determine if you die peacefully or in agony," Kim Callinan, president and CEO of the nonprofit Compassion & Choices, told The Associated Press.

She continued, "Patients routinely travel to other states to utilize the best health care options. There is no rational reason they shouldn’t be able to travel to another state to access medical aid in dying if the state they live in doesn’t offer it."

The decision comes after a Connecticut woman, Lynda Bluestein, reached a court settlement with Vermont that would allow her to be the first out-of-state patient to be euthanized by the state's medical system.

Bluestein, 75, has terminal cancer and is seeking to end her life before her natural death. She launched a legal challenge against the state of Vermont's residency requirement, successfully arguing that it violates the .U.S Constitution's commerce, equal protection, and privileges and immunities clauses................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/vermont-republican-governor-approves-assisted-suicide-nonresidents
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think,and am probably  wrong from a legal perspective, that he has every right to do this for the citizens of Vermont,but  NOT  for the citizens of other states.

And I honestly don't give a rabid rat's ass if anyone disagrees with me on this or not,so don't waste your time trying to start an argument over this.

This is just MY opinion,and worth every dollar you paid for it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'll probably get slammed, and this is maybe my most "un-conservative" POV in my ideoligical thinking.

Those of us who have had loved ones die of cancer, and watch them go through extened  excruciating pain and suffering?
Providing them an honorable, humane, and mericful end to that suffering seems a more fitting and just end.

I know it is totally counter to biblical law, but seeing a love one waste away, suffer, and die gradually before your eyes, is almost as cruel to the living as the dying.  I'm pro-life.  But in this case, I might be an outlier. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'll probably get slammed, and this is maybe my most "un-conservative" POV in my ideoligical thinking.

Those of us who have had loved ones die of cancer, and watch them go through extened  excruciating pain and suffering?
Providing them an honorable, humane, and mericful end to that suffering seems a more fitting and just end.

I know it is totally counter to biblical law, but seeing a love one waste away, suffer, and die gradually before your eyes, is almost as cruel to the living as the dying.  I'm pro-life.  But in this case, I might be an outlier.

@catfish1957

You won't get slammed for that by ME!

Do not get me wrong,I think  we should all "fight the good fight" as long as there is a possibility of winning it,even if it is a remote possibility,but once it is recognized as a hopeless fight,your continued suffering does neither you nor your loved ones any good. All it does is extend the pain and suffering by all involved.

Do NOT misunderstand me on this,though. If someone CHOOSES to "fight the fight" even though it is hopeless,that is their right and I would not do or say anything that would go against their will as long as they were still lucid enough to make decisions on their own. I will admit it would be awful hard for me,and  I suspect most people,to watch a loved one do that much suffering,but it IS their life,so it should be their choice.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

You won't get slammed for that by ME!

Do not get me wrong,I think  we should all "fight the good fight" as long as there is a possibility of winning it,even if it is a remote possibility,but once it is recognized as a hopeless fight,your continued suffering does neither you nor your loved ones any good. All it does is extend the pain and suffering by all involved.

Do NOT misunderstand me on this,though. If someone CHOOSES to "fight the fight" even though it is hopeless,that is their right and I would not do or say anything that would go against their will as long as they were still lucid enough to make decisions on their own. I will admit it would be awful hard for me,and  I suspect most people,to watch a loved one do that much suffering,but it IS their life,so it should be their choice.

Agree 100% Assistance provided should only coincide with extreme suffering, and 100% terminal prognosis.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Kamaji

The problem with these programs is that, inevitably, they become both abused and abusive.  Canada is a clear case in point.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I will endure what I must here, to be free of pain there. As God so wills. YMMV.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

The problem with these programs is that, inevitably, they become both abused and abusive.  Canada is a clear case in point.

Exactly

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Okay, just reading the headline it sounds like open season on tourists was just declared, is there a limit on how many can be bagged a day, week, month?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Okay, just reading the headline it sounds like open season on tourists was just declared, is there a limit on how many can be bagged a day, week, month?
I read it that way, too. I guess the locals have to keep on paying their taxes. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I never saw suicide as a sin.

It’s homicide, matricide, patricide, etc I have a problem, with it,

I know most of you are going to disagree with me on this. I’m sorry about that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:58:35 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

If someone is in so much pain they feel they can't go on that is their business, it's the cowards that can't go alone and take others with them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Gefn

I can understand how some people can say suicide is a sin. After all,look at what it does to the loved ones of the person who  just killed themselves.