Author Topic: Hollywood writers to strike, triggering TV shutdowns amid streaming disruption  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
LOS ANGELES, May 1 (Reuters) - Hollywood film and television writers will go on strike starting Tuesday, throwing Hollywood into turmoil as the entertainment business grapples with seismic changes triggered by the global streaming TV boom.

The Writers Guild of America (WGA) called its first work stoppage in 15 years after failing to reach an agreement for higher pay from studios such as Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) and Netflix Inc (NFLX.O).

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/hollywood-writers-studios-stage-last-minute-talks-strike-deadline-looms-2023-05-01/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Go on strike and stay there, the writing these days can't get much worse. Hope Hollyweird dies a painful death.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Gee whiz, Wally! Who will put all the gratuitous and non-plot related scenes of homosexual behaviour into otherwise viable plots now?

Don't rush negotiations for me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

If it were not for this article here, I might never have even known.
This effects me not at all.

And I am alright with that.

Let them eat cake.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The fact that it is shutting up Colbert, Fallon, and Kimmel ought be viewed as a gift.

I'll take it. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Let them eat cake.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

Oh, however shall we survive?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, however shall we survive?
It's gwine be rough, Miz Mountaineer, but us folks can get by. :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Those writers really have us over a barrel this time!..Whatever will we do?  Producers can just turn to CHATGPT to pen new product. 

Now if AI ever forms a union we all are screwed!!!!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Let them eat cake.
Agree, I can't think of one single thing on TV that I watch which could possibly be considered current, okay Gutfeld on YouTube, specifically because it is all(to me) crap! I wonder if the writing strike will affect the asininity spouted on 'network news' because that would be nice.

Offline verga

The fact that it is shutting up Colbert, Fallon, and Kimmel ought be viewed as a gift.

I'll take it.
:amen: TESTIFY!!!!!
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

It appears none of them is capable of writing his own material.

Offline berdie

Those writers really have us over a barrel this time!..Whatever will we do?  Producers can just turn to CHATGPT to pen new product. 

Now if AI ever forms a union we all are screwed!!!!

Funny you should mention AI. I read an article just this morning that addressed the fact that AI would be used to replace writers.

Given the fact that there are very few new and different plots and the verbiage is pretty limited...I can see it happening.

Offline libertybele

Gee, I think we'll all survive... without Hollywood.  The U.S. just might be a much better place without their liberal twisted and sometimes sick spin on things.

Hollywood writers go on strike for the first time in 15 years

Screenwriters for television and movies declared late Monday that they will launch a strike.

According to the Writers Guild of America, they decided to go on strike after their negotiations with the studios and streamers failed to reach an agreement.

Their proposal mentioned working time and more writers per episode as well as preserving the “writer’s room”. However, after many days they did not reach a new contract, resulting in an expired deal.

The union represents 11,500 writers of film, television, and other entertainment forms. Some writers will gather through the week outside Peacock and Netflix offices in New York. Others will gather outside TV stations, Warner Bros, and Universal Studios across California.

“We have reached this moment today not of our own choosing but because the companies’ assault on writer income and working conditions have pushed us to an existential brink,” said Chris Keyser, WGA negotiating committee co-chair.

This is not the first time Hollywood writers go on strike, Back in 2007 a 100-day strike took place. According to a report by Los Angeles County’s Economic Development Corp., this cost the California economy an estimated $2 billion. The industry at the time contributed $58 billion a year to the area’s economy..............

https://abc-7.com/news/entertainment/2023/05/02/hollywood-writers-go-on-strike-for-the-first-time-in-15-years/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The last show I watched that I thought was worth it was Longmire. We ditched cable and Netflix after that. Don't miss them. I mostly watch things on YouTube now.This strike could go on years and I wouldn't care.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

The last show I watched that I thought was worth it was Longmire. We ditched cable and Netflix after that. Don't miss them. I mostly watch things on YouTube now.This strike could go on years and I wouldn't care.

I hear ya.  The last show I watched was Yellowstone.  I don't have any idea when the next season is supposed to begin, but if it doesn't, it is no big deal.  I rarely watch TV as it is.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's hilarious to me that 15 years ago when this last happened, the fact that late-night talk shows shutting down was a huge disruption.

Now, they're all so irrelevant (except for Gutfeld!, which is non-union so they keep going, lol) that nobody's going to bat an eyelash... and the other shows are going on summer hiatus anyway.

The funny part is that most of the dispute is centered around residuals. Late-night writers almost never get residuals because the only one I see in reruns is Carson (I do occasionally see Dick Cavett, but I think that one's only online). So it seems the only reason to have those writers in the WGA is to provide "shock troops" to give immediate impact to the strike, since it takes months to get from script to screen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Might be the 1st time in history a group of people went on strike and no ones lives were adversely affected or disrupted. Hope those writers have some money banked to buy food and pay rents.  But then most of them prolly live in their parents basements anyway.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Mod2

Merged threads; moved to Entertainment

Offline verga

Might be the 1st time in history a group of people went on strike and no ones lives were adversely affected or disrupted. Hope those writers have some money banked to buy food and pay rents.  But then most of them prolly live in their parents basements anyway.
Actually it is the opposite. Many lives will be improved by not having to listen to these idiots.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Actually it is the opposite. Many lives will be improved by not having to listen to these idiots.

This might be the first valid and useful application of Chat-GPT. 

OTOH, Gutfeld's show didn't seem to suffer last night.  His show was a hoot.  The 5 minute Abs guy from Something About Mary as on it, and he was hilarious. Looks like, as long as Greg's on, I might have to give Fox one hour a night.

Goes to show that some like Colbert, Fallon and Kimmel are utterly talentless hacks
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:19:26 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.