Author Topic: Environmental groups sue FAA over Starship launch license  (Read 342 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Space News by Jeff Foust May 1, 2023

Several environmental groups filed a lawsuit against the Federal Aviation Administration May 1, arguing that the agency improperly carried out an environmental review of SpaceX Starship launches from Boca Chica, Texas.

The suit, filed in federal district court, seeks to revoke the FAA’s launch license for Starship launches from Boca Chica and declare that an environmental review done as part of that process violated the National Environmental Policy Act. That review, completed In June 2022, allowed SpaceX to conduct launches provided it carried out prescribed mitigations.

The lawsuit argues that the FAA failed to fully assess the impacts on the environment from launches, as well as launch failures, by the Starship/Super Heavy vehicle, citing the April 20 first integrated launch of that vehicle as an example. Thrust from the booster tore apart much of the concrete base of the pad, sending debris flying and creating a plume of sand and dust.

The suit adds that the FAA also did not take into account extended closures of the highway that leads to both the Starbase site and the neighboring public beach, which the groups argue is counter to Texas state laws that guarantees free access to such beaches. It also argues that the agency did not adequately examine alternatives to launching from Boca Chica, such as launching from the Kennedy Space Center.

“Federal officials should defend vulnerable wildlife and frontline communities, not give a pass to corporate interests that want to use treasured coastal landscapes as a dumping ground for space waste,” said Jared Margolis, senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity, the lead plaintiff in the suit.

More: https://spacenews.com/environmental-groups-sue-faa-over-starship-launch-license/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Environmental groups sue FAA over Starship launch license
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:27:28 am »
These people act a if the destruction of the launch pad was a normal, predicted, and intentional result.

I seriously doubt that.

I'd bet the road is open again, too.

(more ecowhackos looking for money to attack someone else)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis