Author Topic: Alle-Catt Wind Farm expected to take toll on bald eagles  (Read 144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
filed:  April 27, 2023 • New York
Alle-Catt Wind Farm expected to take toll on bald eagles 
Credit:  By RICK MILLER, Olean Times Herald, Apr 25, 2023, oleantimesherald.com ~~

Translate:  FROM English | TO English

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation estimates the proposed Alle-Catt Wind Farm across parts of northern Cattaraugus and Allegany counties will kill 41 bald eagles over a 30-year period.

Another Invenergy wind project in the town of Canisteo in Steuben County will, if built, kill another 41 eagles, DEC estimated in negotiations with representatives from both wind farms over replacement habitat. Bats would also be killed by the turbines, DEC noted.

Instead, Invenergy signed off on a DEC proposal to help fund an expansion of the Janet L. Swanson Wildlife Hospital for Bald and Golden Eagle Health and Conservation at Cornell University with a nearly $2 million donation paid over several years.

There are an estimated 425 nesting pairs of bald eagles in New York, according to DEC. The bald eagle has been removed from the state’s endangered list and placed on the DEC’s threatened list.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2023/04/27/alle-catt-wind-farm-expected-to-take-toll-on-bald-eagles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson