Author Topic: The Less You Know About Climate, The More You Cry About Climate  (Read 127 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Less You Know About Climate, The More You Cry About Climate

WILLIAM M BRIGGS
APR 28, 2023

Apologies again for the duplicate mailing yesterday. My enemies somehow sent an extra copy of the daily post. Agents are even now tracking them down.

Some things, the saying goes, are too good to check.

Take the peer-reviewed paper “Environmental knowledge is inversely associated with climate change anxiety” by Hannes Zacher and Cort W. Rudolph in Climatic Change.

To my NPR-listener readers, “inversely associated” means the more environmental knowledge you have, the less you worry about the environment. It also means the greater your ignorance of the environment, which is to say, the more you listen to NPR, the more you worry.

The paper begins by quoting logician Bertrand Russell, who, believe it or not, foresaw Twitter: “The degree of one’s emotions varies inversely with one’s knowledge of the facts, the less you know the hotter you get.”

https://wmbriggs.substack.com/p/the-less-you-know-about-climate-the
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson