Author Topic: Summers: We Have ‘a Stagflationary Problem Developing’  (Read 605 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Summers: We Have ‘a Stagflationary Problem Developing’
« on: April 29, 2023, 08:20:24 pm »
Summers: We Have ‘a Stagflationary Problem Developing’

Ian Hanchett 29 Apr 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-svmBJHXHw&t=2105s&ab_channel=BloombergTelevision

During an interview aired on Friday’s edition of Bloomberg’s “Wall Street Week,” Harvard Professor, economist, Director of the National Economic Council under President Barack Obama, and Treasury Secretary under President Bill Clinton, Larry Summers stated that “we’ve got a bit of a stagflationary problem developing where we have base inflation that’s well above target,” and you won’t get inflation back to the target level “without a meaningful slowdown in the economy.”

Summers said, “I’ve been pointing to the ECI number, because I think the labor market is the key to the inflation process because it only comes quarterly because it’s the best of the numbers for measuring wage inflation, because it includes benefits and adjusts for changes in the composition of the labor force. And that number was pretty strong. That number’s running at about 4.8% now, both on an annual basis and a quarterly basis. There’s not really evidence that it is decelerating. The revision for last quarter was a little bit upwards. And 4.8% labor cost inflation just does not go with 2% underlying inflation. So, I think we’ve got a bit of a stagflationary problem developing where we have base inflation that’s well above target, and as I’ve been saying for the last year-and-a-half, I don’t think that’s going to get back to target without a meaningful slowdown in the economy.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Summers: We Have ‘a Stagflationary Problem Developing’
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 08:34:03 pm »
Duh.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 08:45:50 pm »
"I don’t think that’s going to get back to target without a meaningful slowdown in the economy big fat recession"

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 08:49:03 pm »
Summer's use of the present tense, just shows how out of touch he's become.

Every economic minded Briefer here has know this for a year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 09:39:50 pm »
Summer's use of the present tense, just shows how out of touch he's become.

Every economic minded Briefer here has know this for a year.

Or more.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 09:51:33 pm »
Whatever Mr. Summers has said, it really doesn't matter.

Inflation needs to be brought back under control, and what's needed to accomplish that must be done.
And... that's it.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 10:45:18 pm »
you won’t get inflation back to the target level “without a meaningful slowdown in the economy.”

Inflation would be eliminated altogether if government simply stopped expanding the money supply.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-