Author Topic: Migrants find tips on Chinese version of TikTok for long trek to US-Mexico border  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrants find tips on Chinese version of TikTok for long trek to US-Mexico border
The Chinese Embassy said that the government opposes illegal migration.

ByReuters
April 29, 2023, 6:10 AM

Lihua Wu's journey to the United States started when she scrolled past the words "The Route," one of several common hashtags on Douyin, the Chinese counterpart of TikTok, advising migrants on the irregular overland trek across Latin America to the United States, also known online as "the Big Beautiful."

By the time the single mother and her five-year-old daughter were apprehended by U.S. Border Patrol on a dirt road near the U.S.-Mexico border just before midnight on April 2, Wu said she had relied on social media for detailed instructions for her trip, including footwear (Crocs as well as hiking boots) and how to find and pay for a reliable local guide.

The difficulty of obtaining U.S. visas and the economic after-shocks of China's COVID lockdowns have led to a sharp increase in Chinese nationals presenting at the U.S.-Mexico border – and some of those arrivals, like Wu, learned about how to come online, migrants, immigration experts, attorneys, and current and former U.S. officials, told Reuters.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/migrants-find-tips-chinese-version-tiktok-long-trek/story?id=98943298
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson