State Chapters > Florida

Florida Legislature Clears Way for DeSantis to Run for President Without Resigning

(1/8) > >>

Free Vulcan:

Florida’s Republican-led Legislature has approved a bill clarifying that Gov. Ron DeSantis may run for president in 2024 while keeping his current position.

In a party-line vote of 76-34 on Friday, the Florida House approved an amended version of SB 7050, which includes a provision that explicitly exempts anyone running for president or vice president from the existing “resign-to-run” requirements.

The bill has already passed Florida Senate by a vote of 28-12 and now heads to the governor’s desk for his signature.

“Any person seeking the office of president or vice president of the United States is not subject to the requirements of [Florida election law], which govern candidate qualifying, specifically those which require the submission of certain documents, full and public disclosures of financial interests, petition signatures, or the payment of filing fees,” the bill reads. “This section shall take effect upon this act becoming a law.”

https://www.ntd.com/florida-legislature-clears-way-for-desantis-to-run-for-president-without-resigning_916335.html

libertybele:
Good, this was coming for awhile. 

We'll see if DeSantis indeed intends to run.  If he does, I hope he waits till the very last minute to make that announcement.  It will eliminate some of the mudslinging and ridiculous accusations and bullying that Trump will certainly throw at him.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: libertybele on April 29, 2023, 02:58:31 pm ---Good, this was coming for awhile. 

We'll see if DeSantis indeed intends to run.  If he does, I hope he waits till the very last minute to make that announcement.  It will eliminate some of the mudslinging and ridiculous accusations and bullying that Trump will certainly throw at him.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, Trump will continue to let his paranoia get the best of him, and continue to say and do stupid, liberal, things.

catfish1957:
I hope and pray that  RDS can fend off the Trump/Stone/Pecker slime machine that was so effectively employed in '16.

If there is anything that Trump is good at, is destroying an opponent whether it is in business or politics by lies and innuendo. 

How bad is Trump?  Cruz was almost beat in '18, after the Lyin' Ted meme was so effectiely smeared, and applied.  It sticks even today at havens of Orange whackos like TOS.

Trump is human excrement.  No vote from me.

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote ---Any person seeking the office of president or vice president of the United States is not subject to the requirements of Florida election law
--- End quote ---

Any state officeholder seeking the office of US Representative or US Senator still must resign to run.

This DeSantis guy sure has a hefty sense of entitlement.  Buyer beware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version