Author Topic: Wrong, Mayor Adams, Monitoring and Limiting Food Choice Curtails Freedom, but It Won’t Stop Climate  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wrong, Mayor Adams, Monitoring and Limiting Food Choice Curtails Freedom, but It Won’t Stop Climate Change
By Linnea Lueken -April 19, 20232

New York City Mayor Eric Adams has targeted “emissions intensive” food consumption for tracking and gradual government-mandated limits, in order to reduce the city’s alleged climate change impacts. Adams’ focus on the food New Yorkers eat is misguided at best and authoritarian and ineffective at worst. In fact, tracking carbon dioxide emissions from food production and consumption is complicated, and ultimately unhelpful, because data show meat and dairy, the likely prime targets for Adams’ food policing policies, contribute very little to global emissions, despite what alarmists assert.

A story in Gothamist, a news site run by New York Public Radio, titled “NYC will target food choices in its battle against climate change,” describes Adams’ crusade against meat and dairy consumption in New York City. The mayor’s office announced a plan to start tracking the carbon footprint that everyday household consumption has, and “a new target for New York City agencies to reduce their food-based emissions[.]”

The “household consumption tracker” will detail all the emissions involved in the production, transportation, and consumption, of common household items, especially food. The mayor’s office claims that, “20% of the city’s greenhouse gas emissions come from food consumed by households,” and “officials said New Yorkers can help the planet by eating more fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans.”

https://climaterealism.com/2023/04/wrong-mayor-adams-monitoring-and-limiting-food-choice-curtails-freedom-but-it-wont-stop-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson