Author Topic: Windows 10 won’t receive any more feature updates  (Read 2330 times)

Online corbe

Windows 10 won’t receive any more feature updates
« on: April 27, 2023, 08:30:13 pm »
Windows 10 won’t receive any more feature updates

Story by PC World • 58m ago

Windows 10 might not be dead, but it’s nearing the end of the road.

Microsoft said Thursday that the company doesn’t plan on releasing any additional feature updates to Windows 10. “The current version, 22H2, will be the final version of Windows 10, and all editions will remain in support with monthly security update releases though that date,” Microsoft’s Jason Leznek said in a blog post describing the latest Windows client roadmap update.

Microsoft has also updated the lifecycle page for Windows 10 Home and Pro to reflect the changes.

“Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025,” the page reads. “The current version, 22H2, will be the final version of Windows 10, and all editions will remain in support with monthly security update releases through that date. Existing [business] releases will continue to receive updates beyond that date based on their specific lifecycles.”

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/windows-10-won-t-receive-any-more-feature-updates/ar-AA1ar6MJ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1d605018c44444b3b93ff7a51735f603&ei=36
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Windows 10 won’t receive any more feature updates
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 08:43:13 pm »
What a relief @corbe. When Biden wins, by 2025, we will all be dead anyway.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 09:26:58 pm »
So, MS will stop effing up Windows 10 and introducing new zero-day exploits.  Good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 09:55:12 pm »
So, MS will stop effing up Windows 10 and introducing new zero-day exploits.  Good.

That's right...  :beer:

Though this time I am in such a position that my threat to flip my shop Linux just might be more threat than wish...  I don't know if I will ever get on the Win11 train.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 11:41:18 pm »
Dang it! I knew I should of stuck with Windows 3.1.1.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 11:45:51 pm »
Still using Windows 7, or some such thing here.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 07:16:54 am »
I have a half dozen XP machines around, all in working order...I just wish I could get them to go as fast as my Win 10 one...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 10:17:00 am »
I have a half dozen XP machines around, all in working order...I just wish I could get them to go as fast as my Win 10 one...

Easy:  convert them to Linux!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 10:22:29 am »
Really need change their moniker from Win to Lose. 

Haven't seen anything of substance since 95.  Just a continuous comedy of errors.  Never thought I would be an Apple convert, but Gate's products suck.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 06:02:35 pm »

That ain't as true as it used to be... Speaking of active variations...

It's kinda been a thing for me, trying to resurrect some of the cool notebook stuff from even the early Win7 era - Finding a dist small enough to run fast on them is a bit of a fool's errand.

Now, I am speaking of something prepared and maintained... and actually functional - Not Damn Small or any other dist that is basically bare... I can start there and roll my own, I know.... But I don't care enough to do all that.

A current, tight, lightweight Linux is a bit of a unicorn.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 06:06:34 pm »
Really need change their moniker from Win to Lose. 

Haven't seen anything of substance since 95.  Just a continuous comedy of errors.  Never thought I would be an Apple convert, but Gate's products suck.

AUUUGH. Apple is no better. Linux is better than both. But the learning curve is pretty substantial, depending on what you want to do with it.

If all it is is an internet machine, throw Mint or Ubuntu on it, and away you go, pretty much. Especially if you are already using Firefox and Thunderbird.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 06:43:02 pm »

My experience with desktop linux is pretty negative, with the exception of Ubuntu. Everytime people are like "X is the year of linux desktop" I'm usually pretty disappointed. I don't know, maybe this time.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 06:50:03 pm »
My experience with desktop linux is pretty negative, with the exception of Ubuntu. Everytime people are like "X is the year of linux desktop" I'm usually pretty disappointed. I don't know, maybe this time.

All I could add to that is Ubuntu/Mint. Mint being a derivative, I believe, and a very successful out-of-the-box experience. I would lean Mint between the two, except in media... For my TV's Ubuntu would have a small advantage... But Mint, pretty much everywhere else.

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2023, 06:53:22 pm »
All I could add to that is Ubuntu/Mint. Mint being a derivative, I believe, and a very successful out-of-the-box experience. I would lean Mint between the two, except in media... For my TV's Ubuntu would have a small advantage... But Mint, pretty much everywhere else.

I used Mint based on recommendations, back in 2013 or so, my experience was not good. Maybe it's changed since then.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2023, 06:57:23 pm »
I used Mint based on recommendations, back in 2013 or so, my experience was not good. Maybe it's changed since then.

I find them pretty much interchangeable, with Mint being leaned more toward business use.

But, YMMV.  :beer:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 01:36:27 am »

I’m certain it’s changed since then. I’ve been running Mint on an old pentium system I have, and it’s been pretty rock solid. 

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 02:04:31 am »
I’m certain it’s changed since then. I’ve been running Mint on an old pentium system I have, and it’s been pretty rock solid.

No it was solid, but it had annoying bugs, like not being able to use sleep reliably, it would disconnect from my bluetooth audio etc.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 02:34:33 am »
No it was solid, but it had annoying bugs, like not being able to use sleep reliably, it would disconnect from my bluetooth audio etc.

I haven’t had any of those problems with the version I’m running, although I don’t use the sleep option, so I can’t say about that.  Some of those bugs would be in the firmware that remains on the system even after the OS was swapped out.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 02:50:07 am »
I haven’t had any of those problems with the version I’m running, although I don’t use the sleep option, so I can’t say about that.  Some of those bugs would be in the firmware that remains on the system even after the OS was swapped out.

Yes, it still is machine oriented, and the more oddball the hardware, the less likely you will get a clean install without having to mess hard with /config...

Best option IMHO... HP commercial boxes almost always work with 'nix. Likely Dell commercial too. Because most of the gear is tried and true and not off the wall...

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 03:15:05 am »
Lol, I only recently got my Win's 10 and have it tuned to the way I can navigate it with somewhat ease. It never seems to crash which even my old XP would on occasion. Now I am gonna be a dinosaur again I guess, if I live to then.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2023, 03:46:05 am »
Windows 7 has some serious security issues on the Internet that have not been patched. It is highly recommended NOT to use Windows 7 online for browsing or Email.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 12:19:30 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I have a 7 y.o. Lenovo "yoga" laptop running an old pentium with Mint on it, and sleep does appear to work on it.

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2023, 01:37:03 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I have a 7 y.o. Lenovo "yoga" laptop running an old pentium with Mint on it, and sleep does appear to work on it.

It was an old Lenovo "work" laptop actually. Not sure what the issue was. It was the classic X in the middle of the screen X windows error after waking up.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2023, 03:45:53 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I LOVED my Yoga 11e!! I want that back! Alas though, I think that small form factor 'notebook' has run it's course, though it is where I fit best in a portable.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2023, 03:53:06 pm »
I LOVED my Yoga 11e!! I want that back! Alas though, I think that small form factor 'notebook' has run it's course, though it is where I fit best in a portable.

This one is the Ideapad Flex-4:  https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-flex-series/ideapad-flex-4-(11-inch)/88ip8fx0737?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F&sortBy=bestSelling