Author Topic: NPR podcast argues 'thinness' a product of 'White supremacy and patriarchy'  (Read 969 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NPR podcast argues 'thinness' a product of 'White supremacy and patriarchy'
Story by Lindsay Kornick • 7h ago

"Fat Talk" author and journalist Virginia Sole-Smith asserted that the "thin ideal" is a byproduct of White supremacy and the patriarchy while appearing on NPR’s "Fresh Air" podcast.

Sole-Smith spoke with NPR journalist Tanya Moseley on the podcast Tuesday to discuss her new book as well as obesity issues throughout the country. During the discussion, Sole-Smith linked "thin privilege" could be comparable to "White privilege."

"Thin privilege is a concept that I think is tricky to get our heads around, because if you have it, you don't really see how much you have it. I mean, it's a lot like White privilege in that way because you don't see how much it's benefiting you," Sole-Smith said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/npr-podcast-argues-thinness-a-product-of-white-supremacy-and-patriarchy/ar-AA1apKAn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=14e0cfdd801e4c1faa037619494bb1dc&ei=37
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I guess all the Africans living in thatched huts and small villages are fat ass*s!  In any pictures I've seen it doesn't seem to be the case but the vast right-wing conspiracy must doctor the photos. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrouchoTex

Hell, let's just call it out for what it is.
EVERYTHING is white supremacy to these people.
Sad fact is they have an audience who eats it up.
(Eats it up? Maybe that's why they're fat).

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Remember our earlier thread around national divorce?

Seems about every 10th thread or so, we have one that screams why!!!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I really don't think Black people are all that concerned with being thin, all I see are women with huge @sses being praised and ads for dietary additives to put weight on, yes I see most Black males want to fit but I also see no chastising of either men or women that are overweight by Black society, actually the opposite for the women.

All this BS about White racism is just that racism against White people. If thinness was a 'White Thing' wouldn't there be a lot more pressure on Whites to be thin? All I see is idiotic affirmation of fat people in ads. I'm not thin anymore, in my upper sixties and  pushing 47 years married I feel no societal pressure to be thin...BUT if I was in the market for a mate my standards are no different than they were back in the day and I would not be looking for a fat woman. It may be wrong but that's the way nature wired me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 12:04:06 am by GtHawk »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

There aren't that many morbidly obese people in East Africa.  You seldom see a member of the Massai tribe named, 'Lard-Ass'.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
For a guy it is problematic if you have to use flour to find the wet spot, and then break out the cooking oil so you can slap a thigh and ride the wave home.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There aren't that many morbidly obese people in East Africa.  You seldom see a member of the Massai tribe named, 'Lard-Ass'.

The fastest land animal in the world:  An Ethiopian chicken.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

Question:

How many fat chicks are in the pictographs on ancient buildings?

Nearly the only place there ARE fat chicks in art are in the Victorian age of patriarchal England.

Offline The_Reader_David

Frightfully silly that.  Back in the 19th century when American society was really partiarchal (women could neither vote nor hold most jobs) and white supremacist (with Jim Crow, "sundown laws" and intermittent lynchings of black folks), Rubenesque women, rather than thin women, were considered the pinnacle of feminine pulchritude.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Question:

How many fat chicks are in the pictographs on ancient buildings?

Nearly the only place there ARE fat chicks in art are in the Victorian age of patriarchal England.
Ah, but they didn't call them fat, they called them Rubenesque (polite for fat).

Offline roamer_1

Ah, but they didn't call them fat, they called them Rubenesque (polite for fat).

Even then, that was mainly the gentrified class... More or less (more less than more), the definition of hot chicks among the working class has not changed much, as far back as you'd care to go.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I don't go to the beach anymore.  But a few weeks ago we had a spring break crowd visit the area.  Mostly dark folks on the scale of whiteness.  Social media post I saw would make a killer whale look anorexic.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Queen wrote songs about these matters young lady.  Embrace the Maximus part of the Gluteus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.