Author Topic: Earth's Largest Logjam Holds 3.4 Million Tons of Carbon, Study Finds  (Read 132 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Earth's Largest Logjam Holds 3.4 Million Tons of Carbon, Study Finds
Story by Russell McLendon • Yesterday 2:00 AM

If you think your morning commute is a logjam, you should see the Mackenzie River Delta in Nunavut, Canada.

Unlike logjams of idling trucks, sedans, and SUVs, this literal logjam stores carbon.

Covering some 51 square kilometers (nearly 20 square miles) it's the largest-known cumulative logjam on Earth, consisting of fallen trees that have floated downriver from surrounding forests and accumulated in the delta over the centuries.

According to a new study by researchers from the US and UK, those logs collectively hold about 3.4 million tons (3.1 million metric tons) of carbon, representing a significant but poorly understood carbon pool.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/earth-s-largest-logjam-holds-3-4-million-tons-of-carbon-study-finds/ar-AA1aiJMw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=72f0cde5cdde45ee92c1c068a084d408&ei=35
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Earth's Largest Logjam Holds 3.4 Million Tons of Carbon, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 10:56:39 am »
It's another eco-disaster created by environmental whackos themselves.  To "save" forests by not allowing dead would to be cleared, they have created this monster.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson