Author Topic: Former Clinton Labor Secretary Says States ‘Must Refuse To Place’ Trump’s Name On 2024 Ballot  (Read 245 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Former Clinton Labor Secretary Says States
‘Must Refuse To Place’ Trump’s Name
On 2024 Ballot

Sarah Weaver
Social Issues Reporter
April 25, 2023 8:30 AM ET
Font Size:

Former Labor Secretary for Bill Clinton Robert Reich said states should refuse to place Trump’s name on the 2024 presidential ballot due to his alleged “treason.”

Reich made the comments in an op-ed published Monday in The Guardian. Reich argues that Trump is guilty of treason under the 14th amendment because of his claims that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from him. The 14th amendment prohibits anyone guilty of insurrection against the United States from serving in public office.

“Secretaries of state – who in most cases are in charge of deciding who gets on the ballot – must refuse to place Donald Trump’s name on the 2024 ballot, based on the clear meaning of section three of the 14th amendment to the US constitution,” Reich wrote.

Reich outlined a doomsday scenario in which Biden wins the election in 2024, but Trump gets a coalition of Republican state legislators to object to Biden’s slate of electors.

“Trump tried these tactics once. The likelihood of him trying again is greater now because his loyalists are now in much stronger positions throughout state and federal government.”

House Democrats introduced legislation in December with would bar Trump from running for a second term, claiming that Trump, “very clearly engaged in an insurrection on January 6, 2021.”

“The 14th Amendment makes clear that based on his past behavior, Donald Trump is disqualified from ever holding federal office again and, under Section 5, Congress has the power to pass legislation to implement this prohibition.”

In January 2022, Reich came under fire for saying that Democrats should slap Arizona Sen. Krysten Sinema for voting against ending the filibuster.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/04/25/robert-reich-trump-2024-ballot/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Wow.  Trump has to obviously qualify to get onto the ballot.  I'm not sure how they could disqualify him other than for insurrection according to the 14th Amendment.  They are going to do everything to keep from running, but having the secretary of states omit him, I didn't think of.  It surprises me and disgusts me, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if indeed some secretary of states followed through.  Wouldn't Trump though have to be tried in that particular state for insurrection??   Maybe @Kamaji  can answer.

The 14th Amendment

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Section 2.

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state.
Section 3.

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4.

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.
Section 5.

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:38:08 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So the myopic little dwarf has popped out of his hobbit hole again.

Offline LMAO

This guy is a complete idiot

Does he really want to start a precedent of the kind that he’s asking for?

If Trump’s the nominee, then he should be on the ballot. Robert Reich doesn’t get to decide
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.