Author Topic: Florida legislature to consider proposal that would allow DeSantis to launch 2024 bid  (Read 456 times)

Online corbe

Florida legislature to consider proposal that would allow DeSantis to launch 2024 bid

by Brady Knox, Breaking News Reporter 
April 25, 2023 05:59 PM

Florida's legislature is set to consider an amendment Wednesday that would clear the way for Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) to run for president in 2024.

The proposed amendment, introduced Tuesday by state GOP Sen. Travis Hutson, seeks to clarify that the state's existing "resign to run" law does not apply to people seeking to run for president or vice president. The move is the latest in a series of steps that appear to show the Florida governor is inching closer to an announcement of his candidacy.

The law currently states that elected officials must resign from their state office if seeking to run for a federal office, which would force DeSantis to resign from his governor's position if he throws his hat into the ring for 2024. Hutson said he proposed the amendment to ensure DeSantis could return to his position should he not secure the GOP nomination, according to NBC News.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/florida-legislature-desantis-2024-bid
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Good Development.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Maybe I am missing something but with there being no debates, I think it would be absolutely foolish for DeSantis to waste his time and money.  Trump already beat him out of the starting gates awhile ago by launching attack ads against him. 

Whoever has the most money to run ads and whoever has the money to sway the networks will be the nominee.

How if the networks refuse to run the ads??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

Good Development.

But I would not enter the 2024 race if I was DeSantis or any other Republican. Democrats are uniting behind Brandon and we are divided. Maybe Trump losing a 4th time might put the final nail in his coffin
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

It'll be the MATCH of the CENTURY ~ Reality vs Reality TV Star.

Online corbe

Justin Hart
@justin_hart
So word is: Trump is going to Tallahassee to try and quash the revision on the law that may (or may not) prohibit a sitting governor from running for President. In other words: Trump is STILL VERY WORRIED about DeSantis getting in the race.
11:17 AM · Apr 25, 2023
·
187.3K Views
112 Retweets
54 Quotes
695 Likes
8 Bookmarks

Charles Gasparino is reporting this also.

Online Kamaji

Charles Gasparino is reporting this also.

Wow.  Trump really is a spoilt, frightened little liberal snowflake.

Online LMAO

Yup

I’m too keen on this change as I hate setting what could end up being bad precedent but I don’t live in Florida
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I just wish he'd put in half the effort to fight the Swamp when he was Prez.
The Republic is lost.

Online Kamaji

I just wish he'd put in half the effort to fight the Swamp when he was Prez.

Exactly.

Online cato potatoe

The law most likely does not apply unless the governor is sworn into federal office.  Rick Scott ran for senate in 2018 as governor, and nobody cared, including Bill Nelson.  They might as well clear any ambiguity if Trump is just going to use it as a distraction.  He lied about Obama's birth certificate for years.  He lied about sending investigators to Hawaii.  Doesn't matter ...  most of the trumpers to this day would tell you Obama was born in Kenya.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yup

I’m too keen on this change as I hate setting what could end up being bad precedent but I don’t live in Florida

How many other states have laws like that in the first place, though?  If Florida is an anomaly, maybe that's because the law wasn't a great idea in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 04:01:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Kamaji

The law most likely does not apply unless the governor is sworn into federal office.  Rick Scott ran for senate in 2018 as governor, and nobody cared, including Bill Nelson.  They might as well clear any ambiguity if Trump is just going to use it as a distraction.  He lied about Obama's birth certificate for years.  He lied about sending investigators to Hawaii.  Doesn't matter ...  most of the trumpers to this day would tell you Obama was born in Kenya.

No, it applies if an existing Florida office-holder becomes a candidate for another office.  Source:  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjwyvOG9Mf-AhV2jIkEHeqVAzAQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoe.dos.state.fl.us%2Fpdf%2FDE-Guide0016-Resign-to-RunLawFinal.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1yJGwND8d9heM5CizSRkR0