Author Topic: Are We Led By Foolish People?  (Read 155 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are We Led By Foolish People?
« on: April 22, 2023, 02:27:47 pm »
Are We Led By Foolish People?
By John Waters
April 22, 2023AP
Robert D. Kaplan has traveled across the world as a foreign correspondent.

For more than three decades, his writing has blended observation and history, a taste for contemporary politics with a curiosity about what comes next in human affairs. Kaplan’s 21 books have touched on subjects that range from the Iraq War and the United States military, to travel dispatches from the Balkans, Asia and even the American West. The frequency of his output is so high and the quality of the work so good that Kaplan was once included as a “top 100 global thinker” by someone at Foreign Policy magazine. Regardless of how he finished in that tournament of "top" global thinkers, it is enough to say Kaplan ranks among our most thoughtful reporters on world affairs, that his writing has the power to enlighten readers with greater knowledge and understanding. And his newest book is no exception.

The Tragic Mind: Fear, Fate, and the Burden of Power  (Yale, 2023), which measures an efficient 150 pages, is a deep meditation on the concept of tragedy as developed by the Greeks, German philosophers, and an array of Western literary figures from Shakespeare to Camus. The book is engrossing, both as literary survey and personal essay on what it takes to navigate crises. Kaplan’s insights on developing one’s judgment make for profitable reading, especially for people serving leadership roles in government and the military. I spoke with Robert by telephone. What follows is a lightly edited transcript of our conversation.

A love affair with the Greeks continues in your latest book. Euripides. Sophocles. Aeschylus. Homer. The Greeks are good for all times but why are they especially good right now?

I think we need prudence and pragmatism to a degree we have not needed it before. I spent years of my life in Greece as a freelance journalist, and Greece has always been on my mind. I picked them right now because their idea of tragedy is apropos for our time. When I say tragedy, I mean the notion that anarchy is worse than tyranny and that no man is lucky until he dies, meaning that no nation is lucky indefinitely.

Insights from Greek tragedy ought to help us respond to emerging crises. But what is the greatest crisis of our times? Is it polarization? Technology?

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/04/22/are_we_led_by_foolish_people_895311.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

Re: Are We Led By Foolish People?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 02:39:42 pm »
We have foolish people selecting our leaders.  The Chicago mayor comes to mind.  He may actually be worse than the last one.  And the people chose him, knowing how bad the old one was.

I just heard some pundit say, 'I'm a Democrat, and I'm not happy with how the Chicago mayor race turned out'.   Foolish, foolish, foolish.  Her first phrase was 'I identify with supporting the policies that the mayor advocates', but follows by saying she is disappointed that the policies she supports with her vote are getting enacted.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 03:31:34 pm »
Foolish and greedy.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 03:33:49 pm »
We have diabolical people elected by foolish people.

The result is that the ensuing decay is more efficient.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis