Author Topic: “Degrowth” (Last refuge for climate alarmists?)  (Read 246 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Degrowth” (Last refuge for climate alarmists?)
« on: April 21, 2023, 10:50:28 am »
“Degrowth” (Last refuge for climate alarmists?)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- April 18, 2023

“No-one is claiming that degrowth would be easy or non disruptive or linear.” (Jennifer Wilkins, below)

“Questions for the Degrowth proponent: Who decides what is necessary or not–and for whom and when? Isn’t this the very definition of authoritarianism?” (Bradley, below)

The “Degrowth” movement needs some critical attention. I asked some hard queries after reading this on social media from Jennifer Wilkins, who defined degrowth as follows:

Ever wondered how degrowth differs from conventional sustainability?

The goal of degrowth is universal wellbeing, to be delivered through global and local provisioning systems that are distributive and regenerative. This demands a reprioritisation of social values and behaviours toward sufficiency and sharing; it is driving development of innovative post-growth business models that focus on meeting needs and respect local biosphere boundaries, both scientific and cultural; it is guiding macroeconomic research on a coherent set of policy interventions that would balance green policies with protection of livelihoods; and it is agitating for reform of governance institutions and an increase in community agency through participative democracy. No-one is claiming that degrowth would be easy or non disruptive or linear.

She continued:

https://www.masterresource.org/degrowth-movement/degrowth-refuge-climate-alarmists/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: “Degrowth” (Last refuge for climate alarmists?)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 10:21:37 pm »
Japan, with its decreasing population, is leading the way with this (whether you wish to call it "degrowth", or something else).

I see this as a GOOD thing, although all of you do not.

A Japan with 50% of the population it has today WILL STILL BE "JAPAN" -- so long as the Japanese maintain their strict policies re immigration and "who is to be considered Japanese".

Western Europe, on the other hand, is headed in exactly the opposite direction. They, too, have declining birth rates, but have chosen to import "migrants" who bear no relation to them, ethnically, religiously, culturally, or otherwise.

The result will be the inevitable extinction of the whites of Europe.
They'll go to their fate as did the Hemingway character describing his fall into bankruptcy:
"Gradually, at first. Then... suddenly".

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:52:23 pm »
Just the modern world devolving at the behest of tyrants who know best...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 11:25:19 pm »
Sounds like central planning.