Author Topic: At Least Eight Tornadoes Hit Oklahoma, Including One Monster, Killing Multiple People  (Read 1011 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by Mary Chastain Thursday, April 20, 2023

The hail around the state was as big as softballs and baseballs.

It’s spring in Oklahoma. That means one thing: severe storms.

On Wednesday, Oklahomans stayed glued to the TV as local stations provided live coverage of the storms scattered across the state. We all knew something would happen since technology has allowed meteorologists to predict possible severe storms a week in advance.

I could geek out over how the storms developed, what caused them, and the secret ingredient to spawn these supercells, but I won’t. That could be a whole post! But I have to show you the radar. Weather geeks: You must have RadarScope on your phone and desktop.

Fujiwhara (named after the scientist who discovered the phenomenon) is when two hurricanes, usually typhoons in the Pacific, dance when they get close to each other. The interaction, usually between a small and large typhoon, can lead to the larger one absorbing the smaller one.

My area had three hailstorms. I expect insurance agents and roof companies to be out and about today.

But overall, Oklahoma saw eight tornadoes in total on Wednesday. The monster that went through Cole and Shawnee killed two people.

If you’re a weather geek like me, you must follow Reed Timmer. He takes you into the action…literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6_R2bWzW8

Reed caught the tornado’s formation in Cole, a small town with only 624 people, about 30 minutes south of OKC:

A storm tore through the small town of Cole on Wednesday, causing two deaths and significant damage.

“Based on the damage reports that we’re getting back, as significant as it is, there could be more injuries or deaths that we don’t know about at this time,” said Gibbons.

Deputy Gibbons said the next of kin has been notified for both fatalities. As of 1:20 a.m. Thursday, it’s not clear how old the victims were.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/04/at-least-eight-tornadoes-hit-oklahoma-including-one-monster-killing-two-people/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Prayers for all the victims and their families. I have said it before that it all depends where you are raised as to what you fear more but tornados scare the Bejeezus out of me, I would much rather suffer an earthquake than a tornado.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Prayers for all the victims and their families. I have said it before that it all depends where you are raised as to what you fear more but tornados scare the Bejeezus out of me, I would much rather suffer an earthquake than a tornado.

I grew up in tornado country.  They never bothered me. We had warnings and a basement.  2 months ago a tornado touched down 4 houses away from me here in N.FL at 5am. It ran .7 tenths of a mile over land and when it hit the bay it disipated. Never heard a damn thing. No warning. Kinda made me rethink the what ifs that never bothered me before in Illinois. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Prayers for all the victims and their families.
:amen:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I grew up in tornado country.  They never bothered me. We had warnings and a basement.  2 months ago a tornado touched down 4 houses away from me here in N.FL at 5am. It ran .7 tenths of a mile over land and when it hit the bay it disipated. Never heard a damn thing. No warning. Kinda made me rethink the what ifs that never bothered me before in Illinois.
In 1980 I went to Hamburger University(yes it's a thing) in Elk Grove, IL. back then it was a two story concrete building with a basement. There was a tornado warning and we were told to go into the basement, the winds were blowing so hard that it was shaking the building so hard we felt it quite well in the basement.

Being a California native I have been in a few big quakes and I would much rather enjoy that ride in bed than wait for tornado. I grant you I don't like being in a tall building during a good sized shake but I have done that too.

Offline roamer_1

When I was a kid, we were traveling from Chicago to the Topeka KS area when we ran into bad weather... REALLY bad. I was scared already, but we turned out to be right in the path of a tornado.

You could never accuse the old man of not thinking, And I kind remember the conversation between hm and Mamma... We were not going to be able to outrun it. He drove the car down into a deep, narrow ditch along the highway with the trunk facing the wind.

I can still remember that big ol 50s car rocking terribly... perilously, as it felt like it was going to come right off the ground to me. Since then, tornadoes freak me out.

So I am happy to be up here in the Rockies. While we probably went to the storm cellar dozens of times back in the Midwest, because of the mountains, bad storms are rare here.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My dad was at our cabin(on stilts) on the west bank of the Trinity River north of Dayton. He heard a tornado coming. He just got down on the floor in the middle of the cabin and prayed. I got there the next day. That tornado must have pulled up its tail as it crossed the river and then must have gone right over our cabin as it snapped 5 cottonwood trees around our cabin, all snapped around 5 feet or so above the peak of the cabin's roof.