Author Topic: Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature  (Read 1854 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature
« on: April 20, 2023, 11:51:48 am »
AP By LISA BAUMANN 4/20/2023

A ban on dozens of semi-automatic rifles cleared the Washington state Legislature on Wednesday and the governor is expected to sign it into law.

The high-powered firearms — once banned nationwide — are now the weapon of choice among young men responsible for most of the country’s devastating mass shootings.

The ban comes after multiple failed attempts in the state’s Legislature, and amid the most mass shootings during the first 100 days of a calendar year since 2009.

The Washington law would block the sale, distribution, manufacture and importation of more than 50 gun models, including AR-15s, AK-47s and similar style rifles. These guns fire one bullet per trigger pull and automatically reload for a subsequent shot. Some exemptions are included for sales to law enforcement agencies and the military in Washington. The measure does not bar the possession of the weapons by people who already have them.

The law would go into effect immediately once it’s signed by Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee, who has long advocated for such a ban. When the bill passed the state House in March, Inslee said he’s believed it since 1994 when, as a member of the U.S. Congress, he voted to make the ban a federal law.

After the bill passed, Inslee said the state of Washington “will not accept gun violence as normal.”

Inslee said lives will be saved because of the semi-automatic rifle ban and two other measures approved by the Legislature this session: one that introduced a 10-day waiting period for gun purchases and another to hold gunmakers liable for negligent sales.

More:  https://apnews.com/article/semiautomatic-rifle-ban-washington-adbbc5bc0d3b92da0122a91d42bcd4f6

Offline mountaineer

Re: Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 01:04:42 pm »
These guns fire one bullet per trigger pull and automatically reload for a subsequent shot.
So does my little .22LR plinker with the 10-round magazine.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:11:27 pm »
mountaineer wrote:
"So does my little .22LR plinker with the 10-round magazine."

Here in Connecticut, you can't buy a Smith & Wesson MP15-22.
That's a .22 that "looks like" an AR15. (it is semi-auto, though)

In Washington, looks like ALL semi-automatic rifles will be banned?
I wonder if this will finally get the issue pushed up into the Supreme Court?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 11:00:14 pm »
So does my little .22LR plinker with the 10-round magazine.

It could if its a Calico model M100 or M900.

Or its overall length is less than 30 inches."Section 2.2-a(ii) A semiautomatic rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches"

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 11:34:26 pm »
Unconstitutional.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 12:33:16 am »
Washington State isn't gonna like what happens when this gets taken to court.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 12:50:13 am »
AP By LISA BAUMANN 4/20/2023

A ban on dozens of semi-automatic rifles cleared the Washington state Legislature on Wednesday and the governor is expected to sign it into law.

The high-powered firearms

A rifle chambered in .22 short caliber is a "high-powered firearm? Most of these are "bolt-action rifles,where you have to open and close the bolt manually  to eliminate the empty case and load a new loaded roand. Some ARE semi-automatic,but even then they are still 22 caliber Rim Fire rifles.

Who knew I got a high-powered firearm for my 8th birthday?????

Some exemptions are included for sales to law enforcement agencies and the military in Washington.

I am sure the military and LEO's are so  excited about being able to possess 22 caliber Rim Fire rifles they are wettting themselves.

The measure does not bar the possession of the weapons by people who already have them.

YET!

The law would go into effect immediately once it’s signed by Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee, who has long advocated for such a ban. When the bill passed the state House in March, Inslee said he’s believed it since 1994 when, as a member of the U.S. Congress, he voted to make the ban a federal law.

After the bill passed, Inslee said the state of Washington “will not accept gun violence as normal.”

Why does he accept it now. If "I" had a violent gun,I would take it out and beat it before melting it down.

Unless of course someone knows of a "gun obedience school" I could send it to?

Inslee said lives will be saved because of the semi-automatic rifle ban and two other measures approved by the Legislature this session: one that introduced a 10-day waiting period for gun purchases and another to hold gunmakers liable for negligent sales.

Of course he did. After all, he has to justify this.
More:  https://apnews.com/article/semiautomatic-rifle-ban-washington-adbbc5bc0d3b92da0122a91d42bcd4f6
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 01:22:07 am »
Is Washington State being shot up with .22 rimfire rifles?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 01:25:18 am »
Is Washington State being shot up with .22 rimfire rifles?
Do they even know the difference  between a .22 and an AK-47?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 01:41:02 am »
THat's just it. I'd bet I could put an AK action in a sporter stock with a 5 round magazine and they would point to the 10-22 in a 'tactical' stock with a 25 round mag. I have serious doubts they have a clue what they are talking about. '
'
But then, Biden's ATF nominee couldn't define an "assault weapon" either.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 02:37:51 am »
THat's just it. I'd bet I could put an AK action in a sporter stock with a 5 round magazine and they would point to the 10-22 in a 'tactical' stock with a 25 round mag. I have serious doubts they have a clue what they are talking about. '
'
But then, Biden's ATF nominee couldn't define an "assault weapon" either.

And neither one would be an 'assault weapon' anymore than an AR-15 was.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 03:01:49 am »
Washington State isn't gonna like what happens when this gets taken to court.

YUP. It's a hunting state I doubt it will stick through the state court.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 05:38:33 am »
YUP. It's a hunting state I doubt it will stick through the state court.
Well, one side of it is....

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 05:57:32 am »
Well, one side of it is....

Yeah... The side between me and the other... I doubt any county would enforce this other than the Seattle/Portland metroplex...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 01:42:39 pm »

They think the .22 is more powerful
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 02:47:23 pm »
Yeah... The side between me and the other... I doubt any county would enforce this other than the Seattle/Portland metroplex...

@roamer_1

Will the counties have a choice?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 03:07:27 pm »
Anti-gunners remind me of the Michael Keaton character in "Mr. Mom," where he's trying to act like he knows something about wiring a house. "220 ... 221, whatever it takes."

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2023, 03:11:24 pm »
Well when you consider they think Biden is an expert on arms and ammunition :shrug:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2023, 03:14:26 pm »
Anti-gunners remind me of the Michael Keaton character in "Mr. Mom," where he's trying to act like he knows something about wiring a house. "220 ... 221, whatever it takes."

Their takes on gun bans and gun control on Twitter make me wonder how they don't drown in their own saliva.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 03:15:03 pm »
Well when you consider they think Biden is an expert on arms and ammunition :shrug:

"A 9mm will blow your lungs out" - Joe Biden  *****rollingeyes*****

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 06:49:44 pm »
@roamer_1

Will the counties have a choice?

@sneakypete

Sure. The sheriff is the most powerful figure on the ground in any county, even against a governor, who can do no more than remove him and appoint another temporarily until an election can be assembled...

Wherein the People can simply elect the sheriff again, and in the meantime, a sheriff in good standing would easily maintain a shadow control over his deputies, especially against a governor exercising power under the color of law.

Short of declaring martial law, the governor has little he can do against a righteous sheriff. And declaring martial law, the governor will come against the People. And believe me, ALL of eastern and central Washington would rise up for this issue.

The whole thing would be incredibly unwise, especially against multiple sheriffs in adjoining counties.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2023, 08:56:38 pm »
@sneakypete

Sure. The sheriff is the most powerful figure on the ground in any county, even against a governor, who can do no more than remove him and appoint another temporarily until an election can be assembled...

Wherein the People can simply elect the sheriff again, and in the meantime, a sheriff in good standing would easily maintain a shadow control over his deputies, especially against a governor exercising power under the color of law.

Short of declaring martial law, the governor has little he can do against a righteous sheriff. And declaring martial law, the governor will come against the People. And believe me, ALL of eastern and central Washington would rise up for this issue.

The whole thing would be incredibly unwise, especially against multiple sheriffs in adjoining counties.

@roamer_1

Thanks!

Good to hear!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 10:13:07 pm »
sneakypete asks:
"Will the counties have a choice?"

The more conservative counties in New York didn't "have a choice" once the state legislature passed its AR15 ban.

The more conservative counties in Connecticut (there are a couple) didn't "have a choice" once the state legislature passed its AR15 ban.

I believe the same is true in Massachusetts (though there probably AREN'T any "conservative" counties there).

Nor will the rural counties in Washington state, regardless of how "pro-gun" the local sheriffs may be. They are still subservient to state law, and the state will go out of the way to drive that point home.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 11:31:14 pm »
sneakypete asks:
"Will the counties have a choice?"

The more conservative counties in New York didn't "have a choice" once the state legislature passed its AR15 ban.

The more conservative counties in Connecticut (there are a couple) didn't "have a choice" once the state legislature passed its AR15 ban.

I believe the same is true in Massachusetts (though there probably AREN'T any "conservative" counties there).

Nor will the rural counties in Washington state, regardless of how "pro-gun" the local sheriffs may be. They are still subservient to state law, and the state will go out of the way to drive that point home.

@Fishrrman

Yeah,I was afraid that was what I was going to hear.