Author Topic: Washington and Trump, The Indispensable Men  (Read 694 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Washington and Trump, The Indispensable Men
« on: April 19, 2023, 07:32:06 pm »
April 19, 2023
Washington and Trump, The Indispensable Men
By Al Bienenfeld

To most, putting Washington and Trump together might seem an odd pairing. Let’s consider, though, why these two great Americans belong together.

From 1776, when our Declaration of Independence was signed, until the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1783, George Washington led our colonial army against the greatest military force in the world. The last major battle of the Revolutionary War was the Battle of Yorktown, fought in September and October 1781. Throughout this period, Washington held our meager fighting forces together through revolts and mutinies as our soldiers suffered many deprivations from inadequate food and clothing to lack of pay.

After the great Yorktown victory, which the French aided, there were small-scale skirmishes until the signing of the peace treaty in Paris. In March 1783, just after the Paris Peace Treaty had been announced, Washington dealt with what is now known as the “Newburgh Conspiracy.” Similar to the mutinies in 1781, this again dealt with the Continental Congress breaking faith with the soldiers who fought on their behalf.

In a meeting held on March 15, Washington addressed a gathering of angry officers in Newburgh, New York. He could tell by the men’s faces, many of whom had not been paid for quite some time, that they were very angry. Some did not show him the respect and deference they had previously shown.

Washington then delivered what is now known as the Newburgh Address. In a short, impassioned speech, he counseled patience and to oppose anyone “who wickedly attempts to open the floodgates of civil discord and deluge our rising empire in blood.” When he paused to don glasses to read a letter from a congressman, that shocked those in the assembly who had never seen him with glasses. “Gentlemen,” Washington said, “you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country.”

Those words brought many in the room to tears, for they had shared the deprivations and burdens together. This put an end to any talk of violence, and a compromise payment plan was later worked out.

Washington would head the Constitutional Convention in 1788 and become a two-term president, quite reluctantly as regards his second term. He blocked a move to join a new war with the French against England, and the press excoriated him for his stand. Ironically in 1792, he warned that, within twenty years, we would again be at war with the British and were not militarily ready for another war. What few understood at that time was that no one hated England more than Washington, but he understood that emotion should not drive foreign policy.

Given his commitment to America and his wisdom, it’s no surprise that, until the woke movement came along, George Washington would be the beloved “Father of his Country.” Now let’s look at Donald Trump.

On April 11, Tucker Carlson interviewed the 45th president. I was impressed. He spoke movingly about how the people responsible for the act of booking him were near tears about their task and repeatedly apologized. The scene recalled the 1783 incident in Newburgh, New York. Law enforcement loves Trump.

Much of the interview dealt with foreign policy and the incredible dangers our country faces because of the “juvenile delinquents” running the country. Trump reminded us how the war in Ukraine was entirely avoidable, and it’s quickly turning into our second Vietnam. Recently leaked documents show that we have troops on the ground and that Ukraine is slowly losing, although Democrats contend these facts are untrue.

continued at link:

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/04/washington_and_trump_the_indispensable_men.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:33:49 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Washington and Trump, The Indispensable Men
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 02:36:47 pm »
 :bkmk:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 03:07:44 pm »
Wow -- the author just completely missed the single biggest difference between Washington and Trump.  The story of Washington and his spectacles, and how his men reacted to it, was told by some of the folks who were present at that speech, including Major Samuel Shaw.  In other words, it was other people talking about their admiration and love for Washington.  It certainly wasn't Washington going to the Boston Gazette or Pennsylvania Journal and telling everyone how much his men loved him.  That would be a level of self-centeredness and narcissism that was completely at odds with Washington's character.

But not Trump.  In his case, it was him telling anyone who would listen how much other people love him.  It was him claiming that they had tears in their eyes.  That's why so many people rolled their eyes and mocked him for saying that.  It wasn't any of the cops, or any of Trump's entourage saying something nice about him.  It was him once again blowing his own horn as loudly as he could.

The comparison of him to George Washington is just sickening.

Washington is the guy who everyone else was saying was "indispensable", absolutely begging him to run for a third term and in some cases, be made King.  But Washington himself was the one telling people the opposite.  "No, you can do this without me.  You don't need me at all."  And he refused to run for office again despite the widespread pleas for him to do so.  Trump...well, he's the guy telling everyone that he's the only one who can save the country, that everyone else is corrupt, or bought, or whatever.    He's got a savior complex that is the absolute antithesis of George Washington.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:32:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 03:31:48 pm »
:mauslaff:

Donald Trump isn't fit to wipe the mud from Washington's shoes.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 03:36:56 pm »
Never seen such political sacrilege....  This is some silly shit

Should we start with Trump's college miltiary adventures? Vs. GW

Or comparisons of incremental debt they bestowed on their citizens? Vs. GW

Or flip flopping party wise, and ideologically?  Vs. GW

I think I'll just stop at 3.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 03:43:58 pm »
The true wisdom of Washington not believing himself to be indispensable is that he knew the country was going to have to do without him at some point anyway.  A Republic dependent upon a single man can't endure.

Trump's message is kind of the opposite, which begs the question what the MAGA's are going to do after he's gone.  Even if he wins, he's gone in 2028.  He's not going to have any supermajorities so he's not going to be able to make truly durable changes on his own.  So...what then?  Sure, the rhetoric is "MAGA is more than just Trump", but it really isn't, any more than Perot's "movement" was anything more than him either.  And it is the MAGA's themselves who constantly claim that "Trump is our only hope".  It's the definition of a dead-end movement.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 03:47:39 pm »
The true wisdom of Washington not believing himself to be indispensable is that he knew the country was going to have to do without him at some point anyway.  A Republic dependent upon a single man can't endure.

Trump's message is kind of the opposite, which begs the question what the MAGA's are going to do after he's gone.  Even if he wins, he's gone in 2028.  He's not going to have any supermajorities so he's not going to be able to make truly durable changes on his own.  So...what then?  Sure, the rhetoric is "MAGA is more than just Trump", but it really isn't, any more than Perot's "movement" was anything more than him either.  And it is the MAGA's themselves who constantly claim that "Trump is our only hope".  It's the definition of a dead-end movement.

:thumbsup:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 04:00:38 pm »

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 04:10:53 pm »
It would be so refreshing if the knee-jerkers would actually read an article. 

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 04:16:29 pm »

Some article titles  are so nauseatingly disgusting, they don't deserve a view.  Comparing GW with Trump is downright stupid, and not worth  any bandwith it wasted.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 04:23:59 pm »

:mauslaff:

There is no point in reading an article that starts off by comparing Trump to Washington, because the comparison is logically ridiculous.  Might was well waste time and bandwidth reading about why the Earth is flat.

Donald Trump is not even on the same planet, politically speaking, with George Washington, and he is certainly not indispensable by any stretch of the imagination.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 04:29:35 pm »
FTA:

President Trump also discussed America’s inability to provide armaments for the ongoing Ukraine war while maintaining reserves needed for our own security, something else that has concerned conservatives. This is a serious and deeply concerning issue.

President Trump and Tucker both spoke of the massive error in judgment that sees Russia driven to closer ties with China, thus establishing an adversary whose joint resources are superior to ours. In speaking of China’s military capabilities, Trump argued that they are only five years behind us in nuclear weaponry. This is consistent with other takes on China’s growing power. Colonel Lawrence Franklin, a retired intelligence officer, has detailed China’s aggressive pursuit of high-tech weapons that we will not be able to match if we stand still for too long.

Most significantly, President Trump made people aware of how devastating a nuclear war would be, as well as how close we are to nuclear war. He also noted how ineffectual our military has become. To illustrate this, he explained that, when he was talking with General Mark Milley about a safe, orderly withdrawal from Afghanistan, Milley believed it cost-effective to leave behind billions of dollars in high-tech weapons than use fuel and existing manpower to bring them home.

Like George Washington before him, Donald Trump made it clear that he would not pursue a war detrimental to our nation.

Donald Trump is indispensable to our nation’s survival at this juncture, just as George Washington was for our founding.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 04:32:07 pm »
FTA:

Donald Trump is not indispensable to the future of this country, period.  In point of fact, Donald Trump played a big hand in sending this country further down the toilet.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 04:32:59 pm »
Thanks for posting @DCPatriot  :patriot:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 05:22:02 pm »

Oh, I did.  Did you?

That's why I went directly after the article's claim that Trump's self-absorbed, narcissistic claim that people were crying when he was being booked "recalled the 1783 incident in Newburgh, New York" involving George Washington.  It's an absurd claim that insults the legacy of Washington, and reveals the hero-worshipping, anti-republican view of this screwy author.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:42:43 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 06:11:11 pm »
Never seen such political sacrilege....  This is some silly shit

Should we start with Trump's college miltiary adventures? Vs. GW

Or comparisons of incremental debt they bestowed on their citizens? Vs. GW

Or flip flopping party wise, and ideologically?  Vs. GW

I think I'll just stop at 3.
This is why I say some of Trumps acolytes are absolutely no different than the Obama extremists, I wonder did Trump feel sad that no one had children in school singing his praise as they did for Obama?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 09:21:15 pm »
Thanks for posting @DCPatriot  :patriot:

wink777  @Right_in_Virginia

LOL!  Trained seals...all of them.

Thread didn't get a single reply until you "bumped it". 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 12:37:53 am »
wink777  @Right_in_Virginia

LOL!  Trained seals...all of them.

Thread didn't get a single reply until you "bumped it".

They were probably busy coordinating their replies.  88devil

@DCPatriot

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 03:20:26 pm »
Oh, I did.  Did you?

That's why I went directly after the article's claim that Trump's self-absorbed, narcissistic claim that people were crying when he was being booked "recalled the 1783 incident in Newburgh, New York" involving George Washington.  It's an absurd claim that insults the legacy of Washington, and reveals the hero-worshipping, anti-republican view of this screwy author.

:thumbsup: