Author Topic: Marines Stand Back Up ‘Tomcats’ as a F-35C Lighting II Squadron  (Read 67 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marines Stand Back Up ‘Tomcats’ as a F-35C Lighting II Squadron
By: Gidget Fuentes
April 17, 2023 8:44 PM

MIRAMAR MARINE CORPS AIR STATION, San Diego, Calif. — A deactivated squadron got new life as Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 311 in a Friday ceremony attended by scores of combat veterans and an F-35C Lightning II jet sporting the “Tomcats” historic squadron logo.

The Marine Corps had deactivated the “Tomcats” – it had flown the AV-8B Harrier attack jet as VMA-311 – in 2020 with plans to transition it into an F-35C squadron as part of the service’s force modernization. Its reactivation paves the way for the squadron to become fully operational with Joint Strike Fighter jets better poised to counter threats from peer adversaries’ advanced aircraft.

“Tomcats” commander, Lt. Col. Michael P. Fisher, and squadron Sgt. Maj. Janet Marrufo unfurled the squadron colors, a colorful pile of streamers pouring from the casing. The activation marks the second F-35C squadron to call Miramar home, joining the “Black Knights” of VMFA-314.

https://news.usni.org/2023/04/17/marines-stand-back-up-tomcats-as-a-f-35c-lighting-ii-squadron
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Marines Stand Back Up ‘Tomcats’ as a F-35C Lighting II Squadron
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 02:00:31 pm »
This would seem to indicate the F-35 isn't everything the military has claimed it to be. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson