Author Topic: The U.S. dollar is under fire from rival nations. What happens to markets if the greenback loses its  (Read 294 times)

Offline libertybele

The U.S. dollar is under fire from rival nations. What happens to markets if the greenback loses its world dominance?

Is ‘King Dollar’ in danger of losing its crown?

Probably not yet, but the rapid unwind of last year’s torrid rally in the U.S. dollar, combined with efforts by Beijing and others to ease their dependence on the buck, have helped to reinvigorate speculation that the greenback’s dominance over international trade and finance may be moving toward its twilight.

Talk about “de-dollarization“ has intensified and Wall Street analysts have joined in, publishing research reports forecasting more competition for the buck in trade and global reserves alongside assessments about where the dollar is heading in the coming months, and how the adoption of so-called central bank digital currencies might shake things up.

To be sure, many currency strategists and economists have pushed back against the notion that the dollar is anywhere close to shedding its reserve status, citing its dominance in global trade and as a widely used reserve asset by central banks.

The dollar’s sharp appreciation last year caught many currency strategists off guard, as has its reversal over the last six months.

After hitting its strongest level in more than two decades in late September, the ICE U.S. Dollar Index DXY, 0.56%, a measure of the currency against a basket of six major rivals, has fallen more than 10%, according to FactSet. The dollar hit its lowest level against the euro EURUSD, -0.63% in more than a year on Thursday, with the shared currency trading at roughly $1.10.

As a result, the dollar has been the worst-performing G-10 currency over the past month, according to a team of analysts at Rabobank.

Alan Ruskin, a macro strategist at Deutsche Bank who has covered currencies for years, noted that de-dollarization talk is coming back in vogue less than a year after the 50th anniversary of the collapse of the Bretton Woods monetary system. Under Bretton Woods, a gold-backed U.S. dollar assumed a central role in a the global postwar economy.

The Bretton Woods system collapsed when President Richard Nixon announced the abandonment of the gold standard in August 1971. But the dollar’s status as the indispensable global reserve currency endured. ...............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-u-s-dollar-is-under-fire-from-rival-nations-what-happens-to-markets-if-the-greenback-loses-its-world-dominance-d48ad5e6?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Great article, thanks for sharing.  Seeing Gold in the record mid $2000's last week was the last shoe to fall, to seeing that increasingly inevitability.  I have been wrong in the past, but I think we may have seen the last of pre-$USD decoupling of sub 1500 Gold.  How this unfolds is highly debated right now. I am hoping that BRICS or whatever new currency is managed in a gradual and methodical way not to jar the world into economic chaos.

I think Charles Payne's take on it says it best.  No one nation, or economy retains its economic dominance.  It's cyclical, and there is a chance that our time has come. I think we as investors need to stay cognizant of how we direct our assets in a way that protects capital, but still manages a decent return.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.