Author Topic: Lawmaker revives plan to ensure troops make at least minimum wage  (Read 268 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawmaker revives plan to ensure troops make at least minimum wage
By Leo Shane III
 Friday, Apr 14

A proposal from Rep. Mike Garcia, R-Calif., would ensure that all troops receive a base salary of at least $31,200 a year, the equivalent of a civilian sector minimum wage of $15 an hour. (Elise Amendola/AP)

A California congressman is reintroducing plans to guarantee that all service members are paid at least minimum wage for their work, insisting the move is needed to help junior troops avoid financial troubles. The plan went nowhere last session under a Democratically controlled House, but might have more luck with the GOP in charge.

The proposal from Republican Rep. Mike Garcia would set the minimum pay for any member of the military at $31,200 a year, the equivalent of $15 an hour for a 40-hour work week. The Pentagon objected to Garcia’s similar proposals in the past, citing the expense of paying for higher salaries and noting that the plan does not factor in additional compensation that troops already receive.

Lawmakers have put more focus on junior enlisted pay issues this session, as the Pentagon has struggled to balance troops’ compensation with other priorities like equipment modernization and training hours.

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2023/04/14/lawmaker-revives-plan-to-ensure-troops-make-at-least-minimum-wage/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lawmaker revives plan to ensure troops make at least minimum wage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 05:00:13 pm »
Aren't we being told by bleeding hearts the minimum is racist because it isn't enough to have a family?  But it isn't so racist it can't be slammed on the military?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson