Author Topic: A map that might change the way you think about the world  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A map that might change the way you think about the world
« on: April 17, 2023, 11:26:48 am »
A map that might change the way you think about the world
By Jo Nova

Where do people live?

These marvelous spike maps mark out a 3D representation of the population density on each two-kilometer-square pixel of Earth’s surface. There are no outlines for countries, yet for the most part we can still see where the land meets the sea.

Credit goes to Alistair Rae, formerly a professor of urban studies and planning at the University of Sheffield. He used the EU’s population density data with the mapping tool Aerialod to create these glorious 3D maps.

And the map shouts “India”.

UPDATE: Do click to see the larger maps!

Population Spike Map, Global.
Alistair Rae, Stats, Maps n Pix Click to enlarge | CC 2.0

This is the global distribution of 8 billion people.  The abundance of South East Asia is undeniable, as is the emptiness of the Sahara and the vacancy of Siberia.  Antarctica is an invisible continent.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/04/a-map-to-change-the-way-you-think-about-the-world/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=a-map-to-change-the-way-you-think-about-the-world
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson