Author Topic: Elite mountaineer emerges from cave after nearly one and a half years alone underground  (Read 139 times)

Offline Kamaji

Elite mountaineer emerges from cave after nearly one and a half years alone underground

By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
April 16, 2023

An elite Spanish mountaineer just emerged from a cave after nearly a year and a half alone underground, telling supporters she didn’t want to come out because “I hadn’t finished my book.”

Beatriz Flamini, 50, who spent 500 days — and two birthdays — in isolation about 230 feet below the ground outside of Granada, returned to the surface Friday, unaware of the Ukraine war, the end of COVID-19 restrictions and the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

“When they came to get me, I was asleep,” said Flamini, whose underground stay was planned to end on her 500th day. “I thought something had happened. I said, ‘Already? Surely not.’ I hadn’t finished my book.”

Asked if she ever panicked while underground, she answered, “Never. In fact, I didn’t want to come out!”

Flamini’s support crew, which lowered food and other supplies to her during her time in the cave, said the subterranean feat set a record for time alone underground. The Guinness Book of World Records could not immediately confirm that was so.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/16/elite-mountaineer-emerges-from-cave-after-nearly-1-5-years/