General Category > Computers

Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on April 15, 2023, 05:55:47 pm ---For your technical side, Win11 is smoother, tighter, and more secure. It is.

But they BORKED the startbar AGAIN. Mac wannabe crapola.

That's the thing that slays it for me. I am fine with it... but I have a console open at all times... because burrowing down is a waste.

I have yet to find a way to stay in Win11. And I am usually an early adopter. 
Find an old box, jigger the install so it will take it, and just run the thing for a week or two.
You'll make up your mind soon enough.

Me, I will probably stick on Win10 a while longer... Like, till I can't.

--- End quote ---
Win 10 is my new XP that way.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 17, 2023, 08:32:46 pm ---Win 10 is my new XP that way.

--- End quote ---

It kinda removes the point of Windowing for me. If I wanted to run out of a console and a filemanager all the time, I'd still be in Win3.1WFWG.

Part of that is an old program I wrote a bazillion years ago called fire.exe... a glorified console based 'Run' replacement Not only will it run anything in the path, it can also fire all the structural folders in Win from a list dialog... operates like ShellEx, but with a ton of stupid pet tricks... It is easier for me to navigate with that than it is to drill down in Win11.

Weird Tolkienish Figure:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on April 17, 2023, 10:24:18 pm ---It kinda removes the point of Windowing for me. If I wanted to run out of a console and a filemanager all the time, I'd still be in Win3.1WFWG.

Part of that is an old program I wrote a bazillion years ago called fire.exe... a glorified console based 'Run' replacement Not only will it run anything in the path, it can also fire all the structural folders in Win from a list dialog... operates like ShellEx, but with a ton of stupid pet tricks... It is easier for me to navigate with that than it is to drill down in Win11.

--- End quote ---

Really? Firing programs in Windows 11 is easier than ever IMO, you just need to add the path (maybe) and use the search index. No need to drill down ever IMO.

Mac honestly solved that problem with the "Go" utility and MS copied it.

Edit: it's called spotlight search in Macs

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on April 17, 2023, 11:15:53 pm ---Really? Firing programs in Windows 11 is easier than ever IMO, you just need to add the path (maybe) and use the search index. No need to drill down ever IMO.

Edit: it's called spotlight search in Macs

--- End quote ---

I find it horrendous. Ponderous.

But then, I am a startbar guy.  In personal operation in Win10, I have all the stuff I need and use all the time (to include utilities) built into the three panels that drop down when I push start. I rarely drill down more than that one push and then select.

The first panel is all shortcuts to the programs I actually use... The second panel is Office oriented with big PIM at a glance, with small icons for Office operations surrounding them... And the third panel, the obligatory weather app and pics, both large, with a ton of lesser used programs and utilities wrapped around them... RDP/VNC , file managers, console iterations, and so on...

That sucks to death in Win11.

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on April 17, 2023, 11:15:53 pm ---Really? Firing programs in Windows 11 is easier than ever IMO, you just need to add the path (maybe) and use the search index. No need to drill down ever IMO.

--- End quote ---

If I had wanted a Mac, I would have bought a Mac.  Same went for New Coke.  If Coke drinkers had wanted something that tastes like Pepsi, they would have bought Pepsi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version