Author Topic: Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Kamaji

Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?
« on: April 15, 2023, 02:11:10 pm »
I have a Win-10 machine and I keep getting come-ons to upgrade to Win-11.

I'm sure the subject has been discussed before, but I'm going to start it up again:  Is the upgrade worth it, and how different from Win-10 is Win-11.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Win 10 to Win 11 Upgrade - Worth it or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:43:28 pm »

I'm sure the subject has been discussed before, but I'm going to start it up again:  Is the upgrade worth it, and how different from Win-10 is Win-11.

I have one machine that I upgraded to Win. 11 from 10 Pro.  As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't worth the effort. 11 might be a bit more secure but theorizations (small things) that come with it make it completely undesirable for me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:46:34 pm »
My experience with 11 (I have 10 and 11 on different machines I use) is that is is a PITA for the supposed benefits. I could do all I needed to do with 10 without some of the 'features' of 11 that I find counterproductive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 05:55:47 pm »

For your technical side, Win11 is smoother, tighter, and more secure. It is.

But they BORKED the startbar AGAIN. Mac wannabe crapola.

That's the thing that slays it for me. I am fine with it... but I have a console open at all times... because burrowing down is a waste.

I have yet to find a way to stay in Win11. And I am usually an early adopter. 
Find an old box, jigger the install so it will take it, and just run the thing for a week or two.
You'll make up your mind soon enough.

Me, I will probably stick on Win10 a while longer... Like, till I can't.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 06:10:21 pm »
I guess I'm lucky that my machine's CPU is not accepted for a Win 11 upgrade, so I don't get pestered to upgrade.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 06:14:13 pm »
I guess I'm lucky that my machine's CPU is not accepted for a Win 11 upgrade, so I don't get pestered to upgrade.

You can jigger the install and put Win11 on anything (well, say five years old and newer). If you have a spare laying around you can see for yourself.

Personally, I think MS restrictions on install are FUD - That it won't receive updates if the hardware is not up to snuff... I would not be afraid to convert old hardware over and leave it that way.... I just don't want to.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 06:35:17 pm »
Well I went from Windows 7 to 11 when my old HP died....I loved W7 as that was all I needed... :crying:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 06:39:03 pm »
The CPU I'm running came out 6 yrs ago. I picked up one that came out 2 yrs ago, but I was reluctant to putting it in. I was worried that my machine might step up to 11. But if it won't without my OK, I'll go ahead and put it in.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 06:41:35 pm »
The CPU I'm running came out 6 yrs ago. I picked up one that came out 2 yrs ago, but I was reluctant to putting it in. I was worried that my machine might step up to 11. But if it won't without my OK, I'll go ahead and put it in.

Yeah... You can tell it no... But I would have an image, just in case  :whistle: :cool:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 06:45:29 pm »
Yeah... You can tell it no... But I would have an image, just in case  :whistle: :cool:

I have an image cut twice a week.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 07:02:15 pm »
I have an image cut twice a week.

You'll be fine.

Me, I always install cold and clean. Full rub. So it is nothing for me to throw a spare HDD in and install to that... and my real installation is kept in reserve till I know I am keeping the new.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 11:16:44 pm »
Well I went from Windows 7 to 11 when my old HP died....I loved W7 as that was all I needed... :crying:

We have some windows 7 machines at work, they're so slow I'm shocked you can use them. Windows 10 is significantly faster.

I upgraded my gaming laptop from Windows 10 to 11. It was fine, don't regret, although there is a lingering issue with taskbar icons turning invisible. Other than that, no issues. I wouldn't pay for it though.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 11:22:40 pm »
We have some windows 7 machines at work

When they retire, see if you can snag em... Their OEM keys will work just fine to install Win10

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 01:50:24 am »

DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11

Find the registry address for the popups and turn them off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 12:13:19 pm »
DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11

Find the registry address for the popups and turn them off.

Why not?  What are the negatives that generate such a large-type warning?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 01:31:24 pm »
They made changes that are not intuitive.  You have to click twice for things that only take one click with Win 10.  In the grand scheme of things, it is a good O/S if you had no experience with any other Windows O/S.  But since you have, you will be annoyed that it doesn't do what you are used to seeing.  For example, the Win key no longer accesses the programs bar at left, but instead opens in the middle of the screen, and now requires a second click.  Everything requires an extra click.  You will find yourself adding icons to the desktop just to open programs you need.

The large font was a personal reaction to corporate America changing things I have gotten accustomed to.  It is no different than Costco no longer selling combo pizza and ice cream bars or restaurants no longer taking orders at the counter but making you order from some phone app.  It really pisses me off.

I am also wary of Microsoft after Vista and Win8 users got the shaft.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 02:50:03 pm »
They made changes that are not intuitive.  You have to click twice for things that only take one click with Win 10.  In the grand scheme of things, it is a good O/S if you had no experience with any other Windows O/S.  But since you have, you will be annoyed that it doesn't do what you are used to seeing.  For example, the Win key no longer accesses the programs bar at left, but instead opens in the middle of the screen, and now requires a second click.  Everything requires an extra click.  You will find yourself adding icons to the desktop just to open programs you need.

The large font was a personal reaction to corporate America changing things I have gotten accustomed to.  It is no different than Costco no longer selling combo pizza and ice cream bars or restaurants no longer taking orders at the counter but making you order from some phone app.  It really pisses me off.

I am also wary of Microsoft after Vista and Win8 users got the shaft.

@Hoodat

Most useful!  Thank you very much!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 03:28:19 pm »
The main drivers for updating / upgrading operating system is:

1.) vendor support
2.) software support
3.) hardware support
4.) security support

Updating to a newer version of Windows offers greater support for newer computer hardware .

If you are using an older computer than runs fine with Windows 10, there is no real world advantage to upgrading to Windows 11.

Adoption of Windows 11 Upgrades by current Windows 10 users primarily benefits Microsoft, because it reduces the resources it needs to maintain a "legacy" install base.  Mass adoption of Windows 11 allows Microsoft to spend less supporting Windows 10.

When Microsoft ends security update support for Windows 10, you'll have no choice but to upgrade to Windows 11.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 03:40:22 pm »
The main drivers for updating / upgrading operating system is:

1.) vendor support
2.) software support
3.) hardware support
4.) security support

Updating to a newer version of Windows offers greater support for newer computer hardware .

If you are using an older computer than runs fine with Windows 10, there is no real world advantage to upgrading to Windows 11.

Adoption of Windows 11 Upgrades by current Windows 10 users primarily benefits Microsoft, because it reduces the resources it needs to maintain a "legacy" install base.  Mass adoption of Windows 11 allows Microsoft to spend less supporting Windows 10.

When Microsoft ends security update support for Windows 10, you'll have no choice but to upgrade to Windows 11.

Thanks.

When MS stops supporting Win10, then this machine will likely go to linux.

At this point, I really only need a Windows machine for two things:  MS Word and Excel for when I have to work from home (and even that is becoming less of a need as we shift to a fully thin-client environment with remote logins from any machine on which the citrix software has been installed), and CorelDRAW because I like it as a vector-image editor, and am comfortable working with it, and it doesn't have a version for linux (although, at some point, I may give Inkscape a third try).

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 03:52:08 pm »
At this point, I really only need a Windows machine for two things:  MS Word and Excel for when I have to work from home .  .  .

This brings up another point that really pisses me off - Office 365.  Hey Microsoft, I don't want your cloud.  I don't want you storing my data in some server complex you have set up in Tianjin.  If you have a hard copy of Word or Excel, then great.  But if you need a new one, I strongly recommend getting the solid version with a one-time charge rather than 'subscribing' to 365 and paying a monthly fee just so you can open a spreadsheet that Microsoft insists on storing on (insert Mandarin word for OneDrive here).

I purchased a new laptop in the past year, and I made a point of also purchasing a home edition install of Word and Excel for a one-time cost.  Afterwards though, I discovered this 'home edition' did not include Outlook.  So again, I faced Microsoft wanting to charge me a monthly fee so that my emails could be stored on some servers in the People's Communist Republic of China which they refer to as 'the Cloud'.  @roamer_1 was very helpful in that regard.  I switched over to Thunderbird, and run all my gmail through that.  I have been very happy with this.  No cloud.  No monthly charge.  And no initial cost.  And it does what I want, not what corporate America wants me to want.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 04:03:57 pm »

The vast majority of the business my former company generated over the last few years was based solely on Microsoft's decision to abandon support for Win7 and Server2008.  The versions of our company software that clients were using were not compatible with Win10 or Server 2016.  So not only did clients have to upgrade their O/S, they also had to upgrade our control systems hardware and software running their plants.  Meanwhile, our upper management members all patted themselves on the back exclaiming what a great job they were doing generating profits.  Yet no new customers.  No new opportunities.  No innovative ideas for expanding business.  Everything they took credit for was generated by Microsoft's decision to end support for Windows 7.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2023, 04:06:25 pm »
This brings up another point that really pisses me off - Office 365.  Hey Microsoft, I don't want your cloud.  I don't want you storing my data in some server complex you have set up in Tianjin.  If you have a hard copy of Word or Excel, then great.  But if you need a new one, I strongly recommend getting the solid version with a one-time charge rather than 'subscribing' to 365 and paying a monthly fee just so you can open a spreadsheet that Microsoft insists on storing on (insert Mandarin word for OneDrive here).

I purchased a new laptop in the past year, and I made a point of also purchasing a home edition install of Word and Excel for a one-time cost.  Afterwards though, I discovered this 'home edition' did not include Outlook.  So again, I faced Microsoft wanting to charge me a monthly fee so that my emails could be stored on some servers in the People's Communist Republic of China which they refer to as 'the Cloud'.  @roamer_1 was very helpful in that regard.  I switched over to Thunderbird, and run all my gmail through that.  I have been very happy with this.  No cloud.  No monthly charge.  And no initial cost.  And it does what I want, not what corporate America wants me to want.

:thumbsup:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2023, 04:16:00 pm »
The vast majority of the business my former company generated over the last few years was based solely on Microsoft's decision to abandon support for Win7 and Server2008.  The versions of our company software that clients were using were not compatible with Win10 or Server 2016.  So not only did clients have to upgrade their O/S, they also had to upgrade our control systems hardware and software running their plants.  Meanwhile, our upper management members all patted themselves on the back exclaiming what a great job they were doing generating profits.  Yet no new customers.  No new opportunities.  No innovative ideas for expanding business.  Everything they took credit for was generated by Microsoft's decision to end support for Windows 7.

Server 2008 is a terrible OS IMO. We run into bugs on it all the time. We have an application that sits on 2008 and I absolutely hate dealing with it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2023, 04:41:27 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  I've decided that I will not upgrade this machine to Win11. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2023, 05:28:41 pm »
@roamer_1 was very helpful in that regard.  I switched over to Thunderbird, and run all my gmail through that.  I have been very happy with this.  No cloud.  No monthly charge.  And no initial cost.  And it does what I want, not what corporate America wants me to want.

You know what's dumb? I have gone, more and more, over to the cloud. Now, understand me in that, because my family has private cloudspace running our own servers, but even so, my volatile current storage goes right up on OneDrive, and I have done all I can to choose Samsung and Microsoft (better the devils I know)and remove Google.

I am doing all I can to get my phones to ONLY talk to my private cloud, but so far, that is a pipe dream, and so long as my phone is being promiscuous, privacy is an illusion. Pick which devil.

With that though, the convenience of all my volatile data being on all of my devices (well, not ALL, but phone, tablet, notebook, laptop and 2 desktops) is not only convenient, but has become a terrific real-time backup.

The stuff I would keep private they already have, natively, because my PIM and comms ARE the dang phone. So what if they get some boilerplate contracts and receipts too?

So as long as I MUST, I will use it. And all I have done so far has led me in a big circle right to that point again and again. As long as the phone is promiscuous, there is no private data.