Author Topic: Can New York get any more ridiculous? As Manhattan deli launches this $29 ham and cheese sandwich  (Read 1375 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

DAILYMAIL.COM
By ALEX OLIVEIRA
14 April 2023

Once upon a time, New Yorkers might have balked at the notion of a $30 lobster roll. But then the price surged north of $50, and they told themselves, 'Whatever, it's lobster. Lobster is market-priced. And New York is expensive.'

When the longstanding promise of dollar-slices started costing $1.50 or more, New Yorkers grumbled, but grimaced and moved on. 'It's New York, and times are tough,' some might have said. 'New York is expensive.'

But when the city caught wind of a $29 ham and cheese sandwich being sold at a deli on the Upper East Side this week, its citizens decided they'd had enough. '$29 Ham and Cheese Sandwich' a user wrote on Reddit alongside a picture of a pre-packaged square of 'health bread,' ham, and cheese, sold at E.A.T., a branch of the longstanding NYC market Eli Zabar.

(more)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11970623/A-simple-HAM-SANDWICH-New-York-City-deli-cost-29.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Offline Kamaji

Offline LMAO

That must be one very, very good ham and cheese sandwich
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Absolutely nuts!
The bread is weak and falls apart when eating the sandwich, and the filling is 'minimal'. I doubt this will work. Where I live, you can buy a whole 5lb smoked ham for $29.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 09:05:50 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Kamaji

A sandwich at the Carnegie Deli was more the last time I was there.

Still that’s very expensive for a ham and cheese
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

A sandwich at the Carnegie Deli was more the last time I was there.

Still that’s very expensive for a ham and cheese

@Gefn

It's hideously expensive for that type of sandwich.  I go to a Paris Baguette sometimes, and I wince at the $9 I have to pay for their chicken caesar sandwich; although I have to admit that it's a pretty tasty sandwich.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That must be one very, very good ham and cheese sandwich
I t better include the fine lookin wooman that done made that sammitch!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I remember years ago (we're talking NY World's Fair time out in Flushing) when Benedict's at Times Square sold hamburgers, two for a quarter.

They weren't the world's biggest or best, but hey... two for 25cents.

Offline The_Reader_David

Absurd.  For a packaged pre-made sandwich?  London is also expensive, but you can get a packaged pre-made ham and cheese sandwich  at Waitrose for £3.60 (about $4.00) or better still a Coronation Chicken sandwich for £4.00. 

I give a comparison with comparable items in Britain because in the U.K. the packaged pre-made sandwiches are genuinely good.  I've never had a good packaged pre-made sandwich in the U.S.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Are those good prices for a sammich  in NYC?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The same people who buy these will bitch about the price of a gallon of gas or heating oil...

Usually while drinking bottled water that costs more than 10 bucks a gallon.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

HAHAHAHA!

As expensive as that ham sandwich is, and as unfulfilling, They should call it the Tump Indictment.

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
HAHAHAHA!

As expensive as that ham sandwich is, and as unfulfilling, They should call it the Tump Indictment.

:silly: :silly: :silly:
That would only be if it had no meat in it...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Are those good prices for a sammich  in NYC?

No.  Paris Baguette - a chain deli store in NYC - sells much better, larger, sandwiches for about $9.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No.  Paris Baguette - a chain deli store in NYC - sells much better, larger, sandwiches for about $9.

@Kamaji

Thanks,although  that still seems a little high to me,but then again,I have no idea what is going into  those  $9 sandwhiches.

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

Thanks,although  that still seems a little high to me,but then again,I have no idea what is going into  those  $9 sandwhiches.

It is high, if one considers prices nationwide, but for NYC, where everything is super expensive, that is par for the course.

The sandwiches I usually have for lunch, if I don't make my own, are usually about $6 from the Duane Reade across the street (DR is a pharmacy/convenience store, like a CVS).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It is high, if one considers prices nationwide, but for NYC, where everything is super expensive, that is par for the course.

The sandwiches I usually have for lunch, if I don't make my own, are usually about $6 from the Duane Reade across the street (DR is a pharmacy/convenience store, like a CVS).

@Kamaji

I don't eat out much,but that sounds very reasonable to me.

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

I don't eat out much,but that sounds very reasonable to me.

It's a surprisingly good sandwich for the price, and given that it's basically convenience store food (like 7-Eleven, basically).  They also have a pretty good chicken with blue cheese dressing salad, when I feel like being a little healthier.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Last time I ate out was before COVID years ago, at a Chinese restaurant with my brother.
I make everything I eat. No $30 sandwiches or $50 pizza (after delivery) for me.
Have more food at home than I can eat in two years. Last thing I need is to buy more.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Never heard of them.
I know Pret a Manger use to have some stores in Manhattan. They had good sandwiches

I go to Jersey Mikes for a hoagie
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

Never heard of them.
I know Pret a Manger use to have some stores in Manhattan. They had good sandwiches

I go to Jersey Mikes for a hoagie

They have quite a few stores in Midtown.  According to a quick search, they have about 90 locations in the U.S. (not sure what the distribution is like).