Author Topic: Explosion kills 18,000 cattle, critically injures one person at TX dairy farm  (Read 1152 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Liz Lawrence   April 12, 2023

Nearly 20,000 cattle were killed in an explosion that rocked a Texas dairy farm on Monday. One person was also critically injured in the blast, police said.

The explosion took place at South Fork Dairy in Dimmitt, Texas on Monday night, sending a massive cloud of black smoke into the air and sparking a fire.

Video of the the explosion was posted on Twitter.

“Currently multiple agencies and emergency crews are on scene and have confirmed with a multiple casualty incident at South Fork Dairy in Castro County in dimmitt Texas. The explosion took place around 8:15 p.m this evening with reports of a large mushroom cloud rising from the distant its currently unknown how many people were injured as its still developing,” news outlet RawsAlerts tweeted.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/04/video-explosion-kills-18000-cattle-critically-injures-one-person-at-tx-dairy-farm/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
18,000 cattle?

Just how freaking big WAS that building?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Bookmarking...
Let it burn.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
18,000 cattle?

Just how freaking big WAS that building?
Apparently it is one of the largest dairy suppliers in the county. Not sure what, exactly, on a dairy farm would cause that big an explosion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Apparently it is one of the largest dairy suppliers in the county. Not sure what, exactly, on a dairy farm would cause that big an explosion.

@Smokin Joe

Just guessing,but my GUESS is a leaky Propane tank.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Just guessing,but my GUESS is a leaky Propane tank.
Someone on the twitter feed mentioned a Methane digester (for processing manure) as a possibility.

Propane tanks don't usually explode, they will leak, the leak ignite, and the tank rupture when the pressure relief valve can't keep up with the pressure (which looks a lot like an explosion, and can have that sort of force) but you'd think someone would have noticed that, or if it was leaking and pooling in the facility (propane is heavier than air), they should have picked up on the mercaptans in the propane (the stink that gets added in).

According to these guys, https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3372543/1 The facility was pretty well enclosed, and a vacuum pump that was supposed to remove methane from the building may have failed. The buildup was ignited, somehow, and boom. That seems to be one theory, the other is that there was an ignition source in proximity to the methane digester, which would not take much to ignite, again, with catastrophic results.

There are a couple of fairly graphic descriptions of the damage to the cattle in there, so not for the squeamish.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This makes me wonder if it's best to maintain such a huge dairy operation under one roof -- all the "eggs" in a single basket.

It brought to mind the refrain from Eric Gibson's "Farm of Yesterday":
They build 'em bigger now
They got more land
They got more cows
Maybe they have found a better way...

Then again, maybe not.

The Gibson Brothers grew up on a family dairy farm in Ellenburgh Depot, NY, just south of the Canada border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mag_E0WPrL4

Online roamer_1

Someone on the twitter feed mentioned a Methane digester (for processing manure) as a possibility.

This time of year, a large quantity of fertilizer might be a thing too...  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

This time of year, a large quantity of fertilizer might be a thing too...  :shrug:
I read they didn't use it much, because everything they needed grew well enough locally. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but IIRC, Ammonium Nitrate explosion clouds are brownish or orange, and this looked gray all the way up.

In this Times of India clip, the Beirut harbor explosion is shown, first with the fireworks going off (gray cloud), then the Ammonium Nitrate on the right (orange cloud).
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/international/fireworks-ammonium-nitrate-likely-fueled-beirut-explosion-say-experts/videoshow/77374268.cms

C S Lewis