Author Topic: Florida bill would give doctors and insurance companies freedom to deny care to patients  (Read 354 times)

Online libertybele

I will have to read the bill further and do some research, but so far I am not in agreement.

Florida bill would give doctors and insurance companies freedom to deny care to patients

The free State of Florida is considering a bill that will give doctors and insurance companies more freedom. It’s the freedom to drop a patient and not pay for their health care based on what they’re calling “conscience-based objection.”

A closer examination of HB1403 raises the concern it could allow physicians to discriminate against women, minorities or those in the LGBTQ community — and the bill is raising the blood pressure of patients like Connie Valier.

“But medical care? I am frustrated and I’m angry. Very angry,” Valier said.

Her concern is that doctors and insurance companies could deny treatment and payment if they feel the patient goes against their religious, moral or ethical beliefs.

“They have an oath to go by and none of this judgment. It’s like this is a patient who needs help and you’re going to say no,” Valier stated.

Nurse Practitioner Dr. Sue Hook who operates the Samaritan Health and Wellness Clinic, said it goes against everything she’s learned during her 40-plus years in healthcare.

“I have my belief system and my morals and ethics but I’m going to take care of people regardless of who they are and what they believe,” Dr. Hook said.

The bill also provides doctors and insurance companies with legal protection for their decisions.........

..............Governor Ron DeSantis in January announced he would pursue what he called “prescribed freedom legislation.”  ..........

https://nbc-2.com/news/politics/2023/04/11/florida-bill-would-give-doctors-and-insurance-companies-freedom-to-deny-care-to-patients/

« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:07:20 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

I'm not so sure that the synopsis of this bill as reported is accurate.  Here is the bill:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/1403/ByVersion

Here is the text of the bill:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/1403/BillText/c2/PDF
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:09:25 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

—A health care provider or health
care payor has the right to opt out of participation in or
payment for any health care service on the basis of a
conscience-based objection

The bill would certainly eliminate doctors/medical professionals from performing abortions and gender transitioning if it went against what they believed in.  In those instances I do agree.

However in a similar way, if Johnny or Mary are Catholic or Jewish and the doctor/medical professional is Budhist, do they then have the right under this bill to deny care based on their objection of their faith?  Wouldn't that fall under 'conscience-based objection'?

IMHO from briefly reading the bill there is too much latitude for denying care and a lot of room for lawsuits.  Can a doctor/medical professional deny care based on ethnicity?

I would be in favor of a bill that entitles hospitals and medical professionals to deny care if one isn't an American citizen rather than this bill which seems to allow medical professionals to deny care for various reasons that they don't agree with.